Starters and Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
I know there are a couple of threads on aeration going on right now and i'm sure there are a million others but I have a bit of a specific question that should only need a quick answer.

When using a starter does one need to worry so much about aerating the entire wort?

Also how large of a starter should one make for a 3 gallon batch or is that more dependent on beer style/yeast?

Thanks!

I imagine that is you have a large enough starter, aeration isn't going to matter quite as much, since the main reason for o2 in the wort (IIRC) is to promote cell reproduction. Having said that, I don't know why you wouldn't take the extra couple of minutes and at least shake the crap out of your fermenter.

As far as a starter for a 3 gallon batch, I would just do the standard pint or so...

My 2 cents.

Right now I pour my cooled wort through a strainer in a colender(to hold it) into my bucket and then shake best i can (I never seem to get a really good shake).

I would still do this but I'm just wondering if I would have to worry about it less...

I thought too that the point of aeration was to grow the yeast....so if you made a big enough starter you wouldn't have to grow as much yeast in the wort then right?

Thanks!

Quite a bit of yeast growth still happens in the wort, just look at the difference in the amount of yeast in your starter and the amount of yeast left after primary fermentation.

Pouring through your strainer should be sufficient aeration for most brews. This is what I do and I have had no problems.

cool right on...

The hefe I've got in primary right now seemed to be a really lame fermentation...

I thought I hadn't aerated enough but now I think I underpitched

I used but it sat outside for like 3 days bc I wasn't in town when it got here and then it turned out the nutrient pack didn't bust when I tried to smack it....

I thought hefes and this type of yeast were supposed to be kinda crazy but mine didn't seem to be

It fermented at about 72-73, 3 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket....we'll see. I'm not too worried about it but it made me think more about starters.

Thanks!

Back