Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscg4u

Reaction score
So I did a starter like Palmer gave as an example in his book, but im not sure I made enough... He says use 470 mL of water and 1/2 cup of extract... Mr Malty recommends a 1.18 L starter, shaken intermittently (don't have a stir plate). I'm guessing that the 470 mL of water, plus around 470 mL of extract equal close to a liter, but I don't know how that works... Help?

A 1.18 Liter starter would require about 4 ounces of DME to make a 1.037 wort; which happens to be the specific gravity you want for a starter.

mscg4u said:
So I did a starter like Palmer gave as an example in his book, but im not sure I made enough... He says use 470 mL of water and 1/2 cup of extract... Mr Malty recommends a 1.18 L starter, shaken intermittently (don't have a stir plate). I'm guessing that the 470 mL of water, plus around 470 mL of extract equal close to a liter, but I don't know how that works... Help?

A half cup of dme is only 120 mL. You'd probably end up with something closer to a 600 ml starter using palmer's sugg.

How do you convert dry cups to liquid milliliters? Or how do I know what ratio to make my starters? Just for next time, I figure this one will work just fine... Better than when I wasn't making starters.

Thanks, so I was actually right in the amount of DME, I just needed more water.

mscg4u said:
How do you convert dry cups to liquid milliliters? Or how do I know what ratio to make my starters? Just for next time, I figure this one will work just fine... Better than when I wasn't making starters.

Dry to liquid is very rough approximation - you want to weigh it out as posted above. I just wanted to let you know that a half cup of dme wasn't going to bring the starter up to almost a liter.

EDIT: I think you are closer to needing a full cup of dme to approximately have 4 ounces. But I haven't done this in a while!

Good luck with the beer!!

Alright well I guess since I have this going I'll go ahead and clarify the rest of the process... I went ahead and put the starter in the fridge, I'm going to leave it overnight so the yeast flocculate. Tomorrow when I pitch it I will decant the beer on top, and pitch the yeast cake.

Couple questions: does it matter if the cake is still "cakey"? Like, chunky and what not... Or does it need to be all broken up? Also, should I let the starter sit out in the ambient temp. For a few hours before pitching or is it okay to pitch cold?

mscg4u said:
Couple questions: does it matter if the cake is still "cakey"? Like, chunky and what not... Or does it need to be all broken up? Also, should I let the starter sit out in the ambient temp. For a few hours before pitching or is it okay to pitch cold?

It should be pretty cakey, if you've given it enough time to drop. Some yeast gets REALLY stuck to the bottom though. I would run some of your cooled wort from your brew in the flask or jar, and use that to thin the yeast cake out.

Just to clarify, it is not OK to pitch cold, you will shock/stress the yeast. So do let it sit out and get at least close to the same temp of the cooled wort you are adding to it.

Sulli said:
Just to clarify, it is not OK to pitch cold, you will shock/stress the yeast. So do let it sit out and get at least close to the same temp of the cooled wort you are adding to it.

Not to start an debate here, but it is OK to pitch cold, I've done it many times, it works great, and I have followed science based threads theorizing that it is actually better. Your wort should be chilled to the 60s before you with anyway, so there should be much of a shock on the yeast.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I'm pretty sure you want the slurry to be within a couple of degrees of the wort, no? I guess when you say cold pitching you mean having the slurry and the wort at a colder temp? If that is the case then, yes, that would be okay. But I'm pretty sure you don't want to pitch 38 degree slurry into a 68 degree wort.

Yes I meant cold as in cold wort, not yeast that is much colder. I think I misunderstood you, because some people think that it is better to pitch into warmer wort, for example pitch lager yeast @75 and then chill down. Its much better to have the wort cooler than optimum, and then let it come up slightly as it enters active fermentation.

Yes I meant cold as in cold wort, not yeast that is much colder. I think I misunderstood you, because some people think that it is better to pitch into warmer wort, for example pitch lager yeast @75 and then chill down. Its much better to have the wort cooler than optimum, and then let it come up slightly as it enters active fermentation.

I agree. Sounds like we are on the same page.

All is good, I understood what was meant haha. Brewed yesterday, pitched my starter, and there is tons of activity going on today. I think this one is really going to turn out great. I also bottled NBs Irish Draught on Friday and had a taste, and it was amazing as well. I can't wait for it to carb up.

Another Starter question... So I am thinking about doing a strong IPA for my next brew, and I was using my Mr Malty app to figure how much yeast I was going to need and it said to pitch 2 packets to a 1.23 mL starter... My question is can I pitch one packet... Let them multiply, chill/decant, and make another 1.23 mL starter and then let that go? I always read about people doubling like that but I don't know how they decided to do it... I assume in a situation like this. The OG is supposed to be 1.09, and I would like to get the FG below 1.02... Also, while I have your attention... How long do you dry hop for?

mscg4u said:
Another Starter question... So I am thinking about doing a strong IPA for my next brew, and I was using my Mr Malty app to figure how much yeast I was going to need and it said to pitch 2 packets to a 1.23 mL starter... My question is can I pitch one packet... Let them multiply, chill/decant, and make another 1.23 mL starter and then let that go? I always read about people doubling like that but I don't know how they decided to do it... I assume in a situation like this. The OG is supposed to be 1.09, and I would like to get the FG below 1.02... Also, while I have your attention... How long do you dry hop for?

Play around with MrMalty some more, it has a way you can make it give you the numbers for only a single yeast pack.

If I adjust the growth factor, but I don't know what that means... Also, it Says 1 packet for 3.5 L starter, so since I only have a 2 L starter, do I make one at 1.75... Chill decant and then make another on that yeast cake?

Latest posts

Back