Starter Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman291

Reaction score
Hey I am new to the home brewing world and I bought a starter beer kit and I also bought all of the stuff I need to brew for the first time and the beer that I bought recommends to have a starter yeast. My question I guess is how to get get a starter yeast? I am guessing I am just activating and growing the yeast that I bought with the kit but how do I do this?

You are correct. For a starter you just use a cup of DME in 2 pints of water and boil to sanitize. Cool to 70, pitch your yeast. Once active fermentation starts pitch into your finished, cooled brew. You usually have a couple days to get you brew finished. I use a half gallon growler to grow my starter in and use an air lock. Make sure you shake you shake your wort up to aerate before you add your yeast.

Cool to 70, pitch your yeast. Once active fermentation starts pitch into your finished, cooled brew.

So I boil the 1 cup DME with 2 pints of water and put it into a container with a sealed lid and use an air lock and let that sit for a couple of days to grow the yeast shaking alot to keep the yeast multiplying. is that what you mean by pitch? (I know dumb question).

So I boil the 1 cup DME with 2 pints of water and put it into a container with a sealed lid and use an air lock and let that sit for a couple of days to grow the yeast shaking alot to keep the yeast multiplying. is that what you mean by pitch? (I know dumb question).

pitching is just adding the yeast to the wort.

Is it dry yeast or liquid yeast? You don't need a starter for dry yeast.

what kind of kit is it? what style of beer?...i might suggest not making the starter the first time around unless you feel comfortable doing it.

is it hard to do?.......no but it is just one more thing in what might seem an already overwhelming process

That was my other question that I failed to ask... Did i need a starter... I am making "Winter Warmer" it is a heavy ale that i ordered it from northern breweries.

ya by looking at it is a higher gravity beer. you might be best to do the starter.

search around and you will find a ton of info on making starters...here are two to get you started.

Wyeast Laboratories : Home Enthusiasts : Brewers : Technical Information : Making A Starter
from the yeast manufacturers web site (you have the wyeast 1728 right?)..look for "Starter Recipe"

Fourteen Essential Questions About Yeast Starters
from a "guru" on everything homebrew related

good luck....its really not that hard, it just might be a bit intimidating at first..but spend a bit of time reading (you fireman still have to know how to do that right?..lol) and before you know it you will be fully addicted to brewing!!

Ya i also just found out that my neighbor brews his own beer so he said he would help me as well as loaned me "Joy of Home Brewing Vol 3" and looked up some stuff in there. Thanks for the links. I think the most I was confused about was the terminology but I looked those up and anwered alot of my confusion!

So when I make the started I boil my DME and water and then add the yeast once it is cooled down to room temp or so. Another question... Do I add the entire yeast package that I recieved in my kit or only use a little amount of it and once the starter is at its peak of growth and bubbling vigorously, I add all of the starter to the 5 gallons of cooled brewed batch?

Back