Starter, yeast count, nutrients, etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on what kind of yeast count increase should be expected by preparing a starter? I realize it varies on things like starter size, time, etc but any general guidelines? This last brew I pitched a single smack pack 2L starter into 10 gallons of wort and it seems to be doing fine (usually pitch one smack pack and one 2L starter).

Also, how many of you use yeast nutrient? I had one stuck ferment and since then I aerate heavily, pitch a lot of yeast, and use yeast nutrient. Subsequent ferments have all been violent and require a blowoff tube for about 24 hours. Just curious how much the yeast nutrient is contributing to the extremely active ferments.

Yeast cell counts will double every three hours under ideal conditions. Realistically, you'll see an increase of 100 times in 24 hours, if there are enough nutrients and oxygen.

Yeast nutrient makes a big difference, healthy yeast are hungry yeast.

Back