Starter went wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ha

Reaction score
Just made a rye pale ale all grain and a 12 gal into fermenter. I used WLP001 with a 1700ml starter. I don't live where I can get the yeast last minute (Mail order only option). My starter REALLY took off durning the night and I found only 1300ml left and yeast all over the counter. I pitched it anyway. Fermenting away in a reasonable time. The question is would you expect a bunch of off flavors due to underpitching?

OG 1.057
14 gal conical fementer at 63f

Would you raise temp in 5-7 days to "clean up" any off flavors?

Just made a rye pale ale all grain and a 12 gal into fermenter. I used WLP001 with a 1700ml starter. I don't live where I can get the yeast last minute (Mail order only option). My starter REALLY took off durning the night and I found only 1300ml left and yeast all over the counter. I pitched it anyway. Fermenting away in a reasonable time. The question is would you expect a bunch of off flavors due to underpitching?

OG 1.057
14 gal conical fementer at 63f

Would you raise temp in 5-7 days to "clean up" any off flavors?

if it took off in a reasonable amount I would not worry you may have not under pitched

S_M

You would have under pitched even with the full 1.5 liter starter, but with active cells your fermentation will probably be just fine.

Ya, you should be okay... Increasing temp will help, it is some what common to under pitch and compensate with temp to keep the little buggers alive and fermenting

Yeah I I figured I under pitched a bit in the first place but was really concerned with the lost yeast.

"Reasonable" time was the next morning FYI.

Back