Starter, Temperature, Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1937BJS

Reaction score
I read where some harvest in as short a time as five days and others are out to two weeks and more. Can you tell me what works for you, and your experiences on what you prefer. Also how much starter product you use, and the temperature you use

I currently do some brewing, however planning on increasing the amount, and would like to improve my system.

Thanks

The length of time depends on what you like taste-wise and how much kombucha you are brewing. I like tart as opposed to sweeter kombucha and make 3 gallons at a time. So it usually takes about 3 weeks for my 3 gallons to taste right. After 3 weeks fermenting, I remove the SCOBY and about 1/2 gallons of kombucha and store it in another container. I then add fruit and herbs and let it sit for another week before I keg it.

I understand that you need at least 1-2 cups of starter tea per gallon of kombucha you are brewing.

I leave my fermenter in the kitchen where it stays in the mid-70's and this seems to work fine.

My suggestion is to buy the following book which I found very helpful when I got started. Good luck
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Kombucha-Flavoring-Fermented/dp/161212433X
kombucha.jpg

P.S., This book also answers your other question about continuous brewing.

Back