Starter Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoFlaBrewer

Reaction score
I just got a 2L flask to make my starter in. The problem I have now is checking the temp of the cooling wort. For anyone else using a flask, how do you check the temps? Do you use a 12" dial thermometer?

I guess you're saying it's tough to get a thermometer down into the flask? I can see that.

I use a 2L flask but boil & cool in the pot so it's not an issue. I show how I do it in this video.

If you want to do it all in the flask though, yes, you'll need a longer thermometer. I have a long glass mercury one that I would use in that case.

If I use a starter, I let the yeast sit at ambient temp and then just pitch it. Yeast is very forgiving and my house is never too cold or hot...so in short I don't test the temp of my yeast anymore. I used to when I started but I've never had problems. If you're taking the flask out of the fridge, you can generally tell by touch how cold it is after leaving it out for a while.

To check the temp of the wort, use a long stem thermometer. If you can get a long one it will keep you from dropping it in the wort.

Exactly. I used to boil and cool in the pot as well. I wanted to eliminate having to handle the starter too much so I figured the flask was a good way to go. Boil, cool, pitch. Then I realized I can't get inside the flask to get a temp reading. Looks like a longer thermometer is in my future.

I did consider using my shorter dial thermo but was afraid of dropping it.

Exactly. I used to boil and cool in the pot as well. I wanted to eliminate having to handle the starter too much so I figured the flask was a good way to go. Boil, cool, pitch. Then I realized I can't get inside the flask to get a temp reading. Looks like a longer thermometer is in my future.

I gotcha. Yea you'll need a longer thermometer. For a second I thought a fermometer that you could stick onto the outside of the flask would work, but if you're boiling in the flask it would probably melt it.

Back