Starter storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
My yeast starter has been going for 24 hours and now my brewing plans for tomorrow will be delayed for a couple of weeks. I plan on sealing and storing it in the fridge, but what do I do when I am ready to use it?

I am thinking of decanting and then making another starter solution a day, or so before my brew day. Yes???

I'm in the same boat. The brew I was planning for yesterday got delayed to tomorrow or Sunday.

I put my starter in the fridge to cool and flocculate. I won't restart it. Instead, I'll decant it, let it warm to pitching temperature, and chuck it in the fermenter. It shoudl be good to go.

Then again, it can't hurt to feed it a day or two ahead of schedule if you think it'll help. It's a lot harder to overpitch than it is to underpitch.

I'll decant it, let it warm to pitching temperature, and chuck it in the fermenter. It shoudl be good to go. Then again, it can't hurt to feed it a day or two ahead of schedule if you think it'll help. It's a lot harder to overpitch than it is to underpitch.

Agreed on both accounts. Should work either way, but if it's been a while since you made the starter and given the time, i'd make another starter. From storage and decanting, you'll have a good cell count, but with another starter fermentation should take off much, much quicker.

I am thinking of decanting and then making another starter solution a day, or so before my brew day. Yes???

That's what I would do. Decant off the firm yeast sediment and throw more wort on top of it. If you've got a stirplate deploy that. Keep stepping it up until brewday.

I think it will be fine.

Also, you said you would seal it in the fridge. Make sure you provide a way for gas to escape (i.e. airlock or tinfoil)

Back