starter or no starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdburns1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to brew a tripel, I will be pitching Wyeast 1214. The very helpful guys at the homebrew store didn't say anything about making a starter, but I've read a few things that recommend it for bigger beers such as this. I'm about to start my brew, I'm not sure if I can make myself wait another day or two for a yeast starter, what do you guys recommend?

I use a starter for every beer I make 5%+. So basically every beer. Only takes about 30 mins but you need to start it 2-3 days before brew day.

I always do a starter unless I use dry yeast. I feel like it is insurance that the yeast is active and healthy. For a big beer, you should either do a starter or pitch multiple smack packs or vials of yeast to get a proper pitch rate.

Calculate how many cells you need and if you can't wait then buy more vials. Or drink substandard beer. There are an infinite number of shortcuts you can take - each will likely result in incrementally less than great beer...

I believe I will go ahead and make a starter. I would rather take an extra couple of days than spend the next several weeks wishing I would have. Thanks guys

I just brewed a tripel and I started with a 1200 ml starter (WLP515), stepped it up to 2500 ml, and then up to a 3500 ml starter. I feel like a starter or 400-450 billions cells is a must for a tripel.

I just brewed a tripel and I started with a 1200 ml starter (WLP515), stepped it up to 2500 ml, and then up to a 3500 ml starter. I feel like a starter or 400-450 billions cells is a must for a tripel.

Adding to this; the tripel was at 1093 and is down to 1015 after 5 days fermentation. WLP515 is probably not the ideal tripel yeast but I wanted to try it out.

>>How do you guys "step up" a starter

Make a 1 liter starter, put it in the fridge, decant the spent beer, and use the slurry in a 2 liter starter.
The idea is to grow your yeast in steps.

Thanks, I'm off to the homebrew shop for yeast and light DME. Is it possible to keep some yeast from a starter for use later on?

>. Is it possible to keep some yeast from a starter for use later on?

Yes. I do this all the time, and it's easier and more sanitary than washing yeast.

Back