Starter: how do I know how much DME to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neb_brewer

Reaction score
If mrmalty says I need 6.34 liters of starter for my 1.064OG lager, how much DME do I add per liter when making the starter wort. Is there a rule of thumb?

If mrmalty says I need 6.34 liters of starter for my 1.064OG lager, how much DME do I add per liter when making the starter wort. Is there a rule of thumb?

100 grams of DME per 1 liter of water.

BTW, what is your batch size? That is a huge starter.

100 grams of DME per 1 liter of water.

BTW, what is your batch size? That is a huge starter.

It's a lager. That's why the starter size is so large. If you use two vials instead of 1, you can reduce your starter size to roughly 2.5 L.

Edit: This is assuming you are using a stir plate.

Its a 5 gallon batch, but its a lager (Maibock) so that is the reason for it being so large. No stir plate. I guess I could use 2 vials and using 2 vials mrmalty says to create a 5 liter starter. I've done two lagers in the past without even doing a starter and they did great. So, I might be naughty not do the full 5 liter starter, but as big of a starter as I can in a growler bottle.

I have the 1000ml starter kit from NB and the instructions they provide are very basic. I knew that I'd be needing a starter larger than 1000ml so I wouldn't be able to use the DME amounts they list in their instructions. That's the basis of my question of how much to add per liter.

Amount of DME to Use
The starting gravity of the starter wort should be between 1.030-1.040. There is a very simple metric ratio you can use that will get you there: 1 gram DME for every 10 ml wort (after boiling). So using the 10 to 1 ratio, a 1 liter starter requires 100 grams of DME.

Dried Malt Extract Weight to Volume Conversions
You might not have a scale, which makes weighing the DME pretty tough. While measuring DME in weight is always better than measuring in volume, if all you have is standard measuring cups then you can use the conversions I’ve measured out for you. Keep in mind these were taken with the cup filled to the brim and after tapping the side to fit more DME. It’s not perfect, but will get you close enough.

1/4 cup = 33 grams

1/2 cup = 66 grams

3/4 cup = 99 grams

1 cup = 132 grams

So for example: If you are making a 1 liter starter and using the recommended ratio of 1 g DME to 10 ml, then you would need 100 grams. Working with cups, you would add 3/4 cups.

Amount of DME to Use
The starting gravity of the starter wort should be between 1.030-1.040. There is a very simple metric ratio you can use that will get you there: 1 gram DME for every 10 ml wort (after boiling). So using the 10 to 1 ratio, a 1 liter starter requires 100 grams of DME.

You might not have a scale, which makes weighing the DME pretty tough. While measuring DME in weight is always better than measuring in volume, if all you have is standard measuring cups then you can use the conversions I’ve measured out for you. Keep in mind these were taken with the cup filled to the brim and after tapping the side to fit more DME. It’s not perfect, but will get you close enough.

1/4 cup = 33 grams

1/2 cup = 66 grams

3/4 cup = 99 grams

1 cup = 132 grams

So for example: If you are making a 1 liter starter and using the recommended ratio of 1 g DME to 10 ml, then you would need 100 grams. Working with cups, you would add 3/4 cups.

Awesome! This is what I was looking for. So I'll find out how big of a starter I can put in my growler and then work backwards from there.

Amount of DME to Use

1/4 cup = 33 grams

1/2 cup = 66 grams

3/4 cup = 99 grams

1 cup = 132 grams

This should be a sticky for quick reference! Thanks Demfer :mug:

I think it easier to do it by weight...

10:1 ratio ML:G

1000ML (1L) needs 100G DME

I do 1.5L starters, so I use 150G of DME (but I start with 1.6 L to account for boiloff)

Yes you should be measuring it by weight, measuring DME by volume is subjective to the density of the DME.

Buy a scale, its way worth it!

Otherwise, spot on for a 1L water : 100g DME

Latest posts

Back