Starter Eruption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcmeyer

Reaction score
So I made a starter today with em whitbread ale yeast 1099. I came downstairs and saw it like the picture I attached. It didn't look like any action had started so I went to shake it and boom. The foam shot up and pushed up the foil.

This didn't cause any problems and was actually kinda funny. I was just curious if any one else has experienced this.

image-1684789026.jpg

ya it's happened to me with a different kind of yeast. It's possible the tin foil made some sort of seal that trapped in the pressure.

Hopper5000 said:
ya it's happened to me with a different kind of yeast. It's possible the tin foil made some sort of seal that trapped in the pressure.

Hmmm. Ya that could be. Ill loosen up my rubber band. It was definitely a surprise I wasn't expecting.

OK this is definitely very interesting. There aren't any normal visual cues that show that its fermenting, but the slightest spin of the flask erupts it. I just got home from work and took the tin foil off and back on to relieve any pressure. I gave it one quick spin and it still erupted. We'll at least i know its fermenting, but it seems the 'beer' is holding in all the co2. If I spin it after the main eruption though, its fine and I just get normal foam.

yeah that happened to me with a yeast, when I agitated it it went all crazy. Nothing to worry about...

The very first time I made a starter this happened and it erupted all over the carpet in my Dad's living room. It has happened a number of times since then and I thought it was because I had swirled it too much and the top of the flask got sticky and sealed with the foil. Then I started using a foam stopper that lets air pass through, and the same thing happened again. So it isn't that pressure is building up. I don't know if there is something about specific yeast strains that makes this happen. Or maybe if the yeast is growing particularly quickly, the CO2 can't escape quickly enough and gets absorbed into solution.

I have noticed that if I can make a starter during a time when I plan to be around, swirling it more frequently can mitigate the problem. Basically, that just shakes the CO2 out before there gets to be too much.

Another thing I've noticed is when I give my flask a real good PBW soak prior to using it, I don't have to worry much about boil overs or foaming when it is swirled. But if I've only washed it with dish detergent (and rinsed thoroughly), then the foam tends to grab hold of the sides of the flask more and take longer to dissipate. That means, I have to wait longer in between swirls, which means more CO2 builds up, which means... blah blah blah. You get the picture.

So, make sure your flask or whatever you use is super clean, and then swirl it as frequently as you can while it is fermenting. Also, if you know it has been a while since it was swirled, just be super gentle with it and swirl it a tiny bit at a time to release the CO2.

I have (slowly) been working on making a homemade stir plate from old computer parts. That is probably the easiest solution, because that would keep it moving constantly and the CO2 would definitely not have an opportunity to get absorbed.

Sorry to ramble so long.

Same thing happened here. My first starter ever was a complete failure/success. It was my fault though. I added too much water in the flask. It is a 1L erlenmeyer flask and I had ~950ml in the solution. Needless to say when I got home the yeast (wlp001) had escaped the flask and was hopelessly ruined. Because there was no headspace available, the top fermenting yeast came put of the top of the flask. Needless to say I was a bit angry at myself. I gave up on the first batch because I didnt want to chance an infection with the remaining yeast. The follow-up was 800 ml of the same yeast and everything turned out great. I haven't had the issue since. It was a headspace problem. Good luck in the future!

signpost said:
The very first time I made a starter this happened and it erupted all over the carpet in my Dad's living room. It has happened a number of times since then and I thought it was because I had swirled it too much and the top of the flask got sticky and sealed with the foil. Then I started using a foam stopper that lets air pass through, and the same thing happened again. So it isn't that pressure is building up. I don't know if there is something about specific yeast strains that makes this happen. Or maybe if the yeast is growing particularly quickly, the CO2 can't escape quickly enough and gets absorbed into solution.

I have noticed that if I can make a starter during a time when I plan to be around, swirling it more frequently can mitigate the problem. Basically, that just shakes the CO2 out before there gets to be too much.

Another thing I've noticed is when I give my flask a real good PBW soak prior to using it, I don't have to worry much about boil overs or foaming when it is swirled. But if I've only washed it with dish detergent (and rinsed thoroughly), then the foam tends to grab hold of the sides of the flask more and take longer to dissipate. That means, I have to wait longer in between swirls, which means more CO2 builds up, which means... blah blah blah. You get the picture.

So, make sure your flask or whatever you use is super clean, and then swirl it as frequently as you can while it is fermenting. Also, if you know it has been a while since it was swirled, just be super gentle with it and swirl it a tiny bit at a time to release the CO2.

I have (slowly) been working on making a homemade stir plate from old computer parts. That is probably the easiest solution, because that would keep it moving constantly and the CO2 would definitely not have an opportunity to get absorbed.

Sorry to ramble so long.

Hmm ya I use dish soap so ill have to switch it up and see if that fixes it. I do stir a lot when I'm around but I had just woken up the first time and the second time I just got back from work. I do want to make a stir plate. I have an extra CPU fan sitting around so maybe I should do that this summer.

TangoHotel said:
Same thing happened here. My first starter ever was a complete failure/success. It was my fault though. I added too much water in the flask. It is a 1L erlenmeyer flask and I had ~950ml in the solution. Needless to say when I got home the yeast (wlp001) had escaped the flask and was hopelessly ruined. Because there was no headspace available, the top fermenting yeast came put of the top of the flask. Needless to say I was a bit angry at myself. I gave up on the first batch because I didnt want to chance an infection with the remaining yeast. The follow-up was 800 ml of the same yeast and everything turned out great. I haven't had the issue since. It was a headspace problem. Good luck in the future!

Oh man that stinks but I guess you learned. I definitely had enough head space in mine but the CO2 just built up a ton in the solution. Any shake would set it off. The starter still worked perfectly. I brewed the brown ale yesterday and fermentation took off. I think I could see action in less than 6 hours.

Oh man that stinks but I guess you learned. I definitely had enough head space in mine but the CO2 just built up a ton in the solution. Any shake would set it off. The starter still worked perfectly. I brewed the brown ale yesterday and fermentation took off. I think I could see action in less than 6 hours.

When I got it right the second time, I had the airlock rocking in 4 hours. I was very surprised. The munich lager yeast I just pitched the other day took off in 14 hours, and that's with the temperature at a chilly 50 degrees. They're now happily eating all the sugars and turning my wort into bock. :-D

Back