Starter Equipment Kit Question - When this all began!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fast_Rack

Fastbrewing & Winemaking
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hope your Brewing Season is off to a good start!

Hoping you can help us with some information we are trying to figure out.

When you started homebrewing.... Where did you buy your first Beginner Equipment Kt? Or maybe if was a gift but where was it bought? (Bucket, carboy, hydrometer, siphon, caper, ext..)

Was it your...

1. Local Retail Store?
2. Online Retailer?
3. Maybe Use Equipment?
4. Anywhere else?

And any information on why you bought it at that way?

Really appreciate anything you can provide on that.

Happy FastBrewing & WineMaking!

Best Regards - Cheers,

Casey & The FastBrewing Team!

My older brother had been brewing for a few years before I started and he recommended the Beast kit, as it had everything I would need to start and then some. I went into my LHBS and wanted to buy the Brewer's Best Beast kit, but they did not have it. So I bought the Brewer's Best Deluxe kit, which is the same as the Beast just without the kettle. They had Polarware 5 gallon stainless kettles so I bought that on the side. With the kit and the kettle it ended up being about the same price as the Beast kit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AC55H24/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Attended a local event/fundraiser/silent auction in which I won a starter kit for beer/wine. Came with 5.5 gallon pot, bottling bucket and glass carboy. Got extract kit from father for Christmas and brewed my first Pale Ale during the new year.

Extract didn't last long before switching to all grain

Gift from local homebrew shop. It was surprisingly comprehensive and didn't include any BS I didn't actually need. They could have sold my mom anything and she'd have bought it, but they didn't include any worthless junk. That (and excellent customer service) is why I buy almost exclusively from the local shop.

My wife got me a Mr. Beer kit. 2 years latter I bought to brewing kits from craigslist - both used, one much, one lightly. And a wine making kit, unused about the same time as the 2 beer kits.
Later for the copper anniversary, she got me a wort chiller. :)

I got a starter kit as a xmas gift from a local homebrew shop. I took the certificate in and they grabbed all the gear and then let me pick what sort of beer I wanted to brew. That batch is finally in bottles (what can I say, I move slow) and I'll be visiting them soon to get ingredients for a beer I plan to brew when my brother is in town in October.

-- Nathan

My closest LHBS is 250 miles a way, so....

For me, I went online - http://brooklynbrewshop.com.

Love the concept, love the folks there and love the beers they've helped me create. Without them, I would have been able to brew mothering at all, and thanks to them, I can now not only brew good beer, but also create beers on my own - whenever I get in the position to get to be at an LHBS.

Highly recommended.

1: Local retail store.

They were reasonably helpful but not great when it came to the recipe for my first brew. Sort of just waved a few books at me. I've never been back as I started getting kit online and have since found great LHBS which I wish I had known about then. They have great selection of everything I need.

Ignorance would be the reason I got my kit at that particular store. Kinda got the bug, had to brew that weekend, just had to. Bought on a whim.

I bought online from AHS. I think the kit included...

Hydrometer
Thermometer
Big assed spoon
Racking cane
Primary bucket
Glass carboy
Airlock
Six gallon pot
Bottling bucket
Bottling wand
Bottle capper

I wanted to begin with extract batches and this one seemed to be a pretty complete kit. I was not going to jump into all grain or kegging.

I've since upgraded to the Brew Boss, but I still use everything from that original kit.

I bought my first set of gear at a LHBS. They have a great reputation and the price was right.

75% locally and the rest from various online stores like midwest supplies and Northern brewer.
I live near Youngstown ohio so LD carlson is not far away, the local vendors pick up their supplies directly.

Thanks for the responses everyone - Really appreciate it!

Cheers!

Casey

I received a Mr. Beer Kit for Christmas in 2013. The end result frustrated me so I went back to just drinking beer.

My mom bought me a Northern Brewer Deluxe Kit for Christmas in 2014. It's been nine months of solid brewing.

Christmas gift from my wife, purchased from Northern Brewer since they were running a promo that with $120 purchase you got an additional recipe kit free

A LHBS in the closest major city (3.5 drive). Got a deluxe kit.

Back