Started Wyeast Kolsch a Little Warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
Hi, I started a Wyeast Kolsch at 68 degrees (johnson controls taped to the side of the carboy) for the first 9 hours after pitching the yeast at about 70 degrees. At about hour 6 the krausen was just starting to form 1 inch thick. At hour 9 I noticed the recipe I was following was fermenting the white labs kolsch at 68 degrees, not the wyeast kolsch, so I quickly realized the temp was too high as I used a wyeast kolsch in my own recipe.

I quickly dropped the temp to 60 degrees within 30 minutes and it is fermenting away right now on day 2 at 60 degrees. Will I have any off flavors from this initial 9 hours at 68 degrees? Any suggestions on ways to avoid off flavors in this if so. I was going to cold crash for 4 days at 35 degrees after day 10-12 depending when it finishes. Any other suggestions?

The recipe is a basic 80% Pils, 20% White Wheat.

Thanks!

In my experience kolsch is a yeast that likes to be cold. And if your chamber is set at 68 during initial stages of fermentation, your beer is closer to 80 (if not higher).

You might have some off flavors, but probably not too bad. To reduce them, and just for a good all around practice, I give yeasts that ferment very "clean" a bit of a diactyl rest.

I usually pitch the yeast into 60dF wort, let the fermentation start then set the chamber at 53, as the fermentation slows down, raise the temp up to be at the low end of the yeast temperature range. And one fermentation is nearly stopped, raise the temp up to about 70 so the yeast become active and start looking for more food (the food they find is all of the off flavors they produced during stress). Then I cold crash.

That's just my typical practice for very clean beers like kolsch. You'll be find with what you have, you got the temp under control quickly. I still recommend bring the temp up to about 70 after fermentation stops so the yeast go to work on their of flavors.

Back