Started brewing again! Temp questions:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyp1214

Reaction score
Whats up everyone!
Havent had time to brew in over a year but finally made a trip to the LHB store and picked up a second primary fermenting bucket and carboy and started 2 batches an amber ale and an english bitter ale.
I do not have a/c so during the day the temps may get up to 80 inside in the coolest part of the house and 60 outside at night....
So my question is would it hurt to place them on the back porch at night and the cool room inside during the day?
Or just leave them inside all day and let them stay from 70-80?

i'd say the more consistent you can keep the temp the better. and obviously the lower the better. sounds like you're stuck with a lot of 70s. that will create some off flavors, but will probably turn out just fine. i don't think swinging the temp 10 degrees from time to time will cure anything. pick a closet or basement area where the temp will stay fairly constant.

or check the myriad threads regarding cooling your fermenter. swamp cooler, wet t-shirt, etc...

My AC broke last Sunday (fixed now, wooo) while I had a beer fermenting. The good folks here recommended me to put it in a tub of water and cycle bottles of water in it every few hours. I managed to keep my fermenter at around 63 degrees when my apartment was up around 80. I cycled out the bottles about 3 or 4 times a day and it worked well for me.

Back