Starsan ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevej21

Reaction score
I've got a 5gal bucket with starsan mixed up that's about 2 months old. It's been sealed the while stored, and used for a few brew sessions. My question is does the stuff go bad? If so, how often should I mix up a new bucket?

Two months is probably to long, i think i saw that if u use distilled/RO watter its good for a month. I use a spray bottle with tap water and i dont use it if its more than a few days old. If you have the ability to check pH, i think starstan is still effective if its at or less than 3 pH.

Just gonna add, i put .8 of a ml in a 500ml spray bottle, roughly the same ratio as 1oz to 5 gallons. I just spray things down, super efficient.

It sounds like it varies quite a bit based on the water. As Gwitz mentioned, you can test the viability with pH strips. However, other members here have reported batches lasting for years and remaining under pH 3.

I've got a 5gal bucket with starsan mixed up that's about 2 months old. It's been sealed the while stored, and used for a few brew sessions. My question is does the stuff go bad? If so, how often should I mix up a new bucket?

It depends on the water. I use it for months and it is still fine but I only use RO water. It is often said that a guide is when it goes cloudy it needs changing. I have some 6 months old that is crystal clear and foams like a rabid dog.
Have a look at this

Last edited by a moderator:
Back