Starsan + Sprayball?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will create a ton of foam. You need to use a non-foaming sanitizer with any kind of CIP/sprayball

It'd probably be like putting dish soap in a dishwasher, if you've never done that give it a try it's a lot of fun to clean up. Saniclean would be a good alternative to StarSan for CIP since it is low-foaming.

Use either saniclean (low foaming) or peracetic acid (non foaming)

You need to be extremely cautious when handling and using peracetic though.

And to answer your question yes using starsan can cause cavitation problems with your pump.

Use either saniclean (low foaming) or peracetic acid (non foaming)

You need to be extremely cautious when handling and using peracetic though.

And to answer your question yes using starsan can cause cavitation problems with your pump.

Exactly what I was thinking... My pump did not like Star San at all. Moved to the non foaming Saniclean and that all went away.

You should have seen the foam in my fermenter using a spray ball..It was crazy!

Cheers
Jay

i use starsan with a sprayball in my fermenter. it works ok foams up a lot but gets the job done. i am using a sump pump in a bucket for the cip. i do have to shut it off every few minutes and let it foam down a little. also after cleaning i leave a bucket under the fermenter with the dump valve open to let all the foam drain out.

Clean In Place.
I agree with the foaming, but closing the racking arm port seemed to reduce the amount of foam generated, and keeping a large volume in the sump helps to run long enough to get a good cycle before the foam gets out of control

Back