StarSan Spill on Carpet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtr

Reaction score
Anybody know what to do when your roommate dumps half a bottle of starsan on your carpet?

I mean, about the carpet. Not much I can do about the roommate.

StarSan from the bottle concentrated or the dilution you were using to sanitize?

I would imagine the solution would be easy enough to sop up and maybe hit with a wet dry vac or something. Concentrated though would be a mess I would think.

Erm... lots and lots of water? If it was me I would run my Green Machine over it over and over again, lol. I'm guessing you need to dilute it and get as much of it up as you can. One of the reasons I love having all tile and hardwood floors. :p

I'm interested if if will fade or ruin the carpet some how. I agree, lots of water and maybe some baking soda to help neutralize. Just an idea.

Starsan will take the finish off of Formica, I know this from experience. I think your carpet is toast. I've used a piece of carpet from a closet to piece in to make a repair.

Good Luck...

Concentrated Star San eats through a lot of stuff. I think your carpet will be permanently damaged/stained even if you get it all cleaned out in an hours time.

This. Hopefully you cleaned it right away. I had a bottle sit on a painted wooden cabinet for 2 days, and it ate through the paint. It couldn't have had much on the bottle. You probably have some carpet patching in your immediate future.

Erm... lots and lots of water? If it was me I would run my Green Machine over it over and over again, lol. I'm guessing you need to dilute it and get as much of it up as you can. One of the reasons I love having all tile and hardwood floors. :p

How'd he dump half the bottle? you have to squeeze it to fill up the dispensing side...

or was the wrong cap wide open and he just watched $5 of sanitizer pour out?

new roomie is in order here!

your carpet will be hurt if not burnt
"STAR SAN is a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid"
I spilled some on my wood floor and it made a burn mark..

lots of water and fast

So...I had some help from Five Star on this one. I actually waited 24 hours to do anything besides dry it. I was worried that adding water would spread the stuff farther, but they suggested adding lots and lots of water, as you all did.

I added some water, soaked it up with paper towels, and let it dry. The carpet is...well, completely fine as far as I can tell.

As far as my roommate goes...we don't know. The starsan bottle was somehow knocked over and the cap was somehow on the opposite side of the closet.

So many mysteries...

Oh well, at least there's beer.

Back