Starsan on Bottling day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

Reaction score
Hi, I always have used bleach in the past but I've got starsan for the first time. Any tips for using it on bottling day?
Thanks

You don't need to mix a huge amount. I've got an old OxyClean tub (maybe 3 quarts) that I keep full of StarSan, as well as a handy spray bottle. Drop your caps in the tub prior to capping. Drop the spigot for your bucket in there too, then attach it to the bucket. Spray the inside of your bottling bucket, then just let it sit.

If you can, pick up a vinator to sanitize your bottles.

StarSan is a wonderful substance. BTW, if you see foam, have no fear. It's all good, and won't harm the beer.

Mix up about 1.25 gallons of solution with 1/4 oz of starsan in your bottling bucket, lid on, shake. Attach the tubing and bottling wand to the spigot and dispense about an ounce into each bottle, shake the bottle, set aside. Pour the excess into a spare bucket. Shake each bottle one more time and dump it into the rest of the starsan. Rack your beer into the bucket with your priming solution and bottle as usual.

Of course, a vinator on top of a bottle tree would be my ultimate suggestion if you have it.

Yah, Set the bleach to the side and use Star San.

Since going with Star San I've only used bleach and vinegar as a disinfectant when I have a lot of nasty crap to address. You know stuff gunking up the bottles or carboys etc. Then it's some "Oxiclean Free" and bleach attenuated with a little vinegar in the water.

When bottling, I haul the rack out of the dishwasher, wipe it down with vinegar to get any residual soap off it and then star san. I lay a couple clean towels on a counter surface to catch drip, Then as I pull my bottles out of the star san soak I pop them upside down on the dishwasher rack to drain.
While bottling I just grab a bottle and fill and cap.

The caps also get to meet Mister Star San. Can't be to careful.

Don't waste effort rinsing. There's no point and it'll only screw up the wonderful job you did sanitizing.

As an aside:
To get bleach to really work as a disinfectant or sanitizer you need to adjust the hypochlorous acid by adding a little vinegar.
1 ounce of bleach and 1 of vinegar to about 5 gallons of water is also a great no rinse sanitizer. Bu I always make everything a tad strong so I'll use less water.

dont' worry about the foam residue either. do not fear the foam!

(its delicious)

Back