Starsan cannot be sent by Amazon to me in California????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESBE

Reaction score
Brand new cider press, ready to start my first batch, but attempt to order gallon of Starsan from Amazon got message " This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location. " Is a regular street address. so what is going on? I have recently encountered the same "cannot ship to CA" when buying, of all things, Koi fish food. Anyone know anything about this issue?

California has some of the most stringent regulations regarding chemicals in the U. S. Was such a pain to deal with my last employer stopped doing business with anyone in California. Too much paperwork. SERIOUS penalties for violations. It's nuts.

I think it's proposition 65.

Something in Star-San is probably banned due to its being carcinogenic if you drank a thousand gallons of it every day for a year.

Last edited:
Ok so I had some snarky response but I deleted it. I used to live out there and I had so many products that I was used to using here on the east coast that I couldn’t get out there.

Do you know anyone outside of Ca that you can send it to and have them send it to you? That’s how I used to get non Ca approved catalytic converters into the state.

Definitely not a Prop 65 issue. Also, Prop 65 just requires the warning be stated and wouldn't prohibit the sale.

I've had it shipped from Amazon plenty of times to CA. I would check other sellers or just buy it from MoreBeer or another local homebrew store.

IDK, maybe try iodophor? CA mirrors the type of environmental regulations that most first-world countries already have in place. Maybe a better question would be, WTF is in star san and fish flakes? WRT electrical regulations, CA currently enforces what the other 49 will come around to in ten years. Justification? Climate change, evidenced by the catastrophic wild fires. Can't wait around till your eyelids melt to invest in sunglasses, can you? GO CALIFORNIA!

I've had Starsan shipped here, directly from 5 Star, and my LHBS carries it. I doubt there's any specific CA restriction on it, my guess would be it's something with the 3rd party seller from Amazon maybe?

As Kmar already covered, prop 65 doesn't restrict anything from being sold, it just requires a warning on any known carcinogens.

As an alternative to shipping, maybe buy it locally?

A few years ago I bought a gallon of Starsan at my LHBS, I think it was $54 after a 20% off special event discount. That was less than when ordering it through our group grain buy.

Without getting to personal, do you happen to live in an area of Cali that is very rual or has a dirt road to your house? Certain addresses get marked as undeliverable if they are set back to far off the road or have multiple gates to go through. If your in a suburb or urban area..you need to figure out whats up by emailing them directly or check your setting in the app.

IDK, maybe try iodophor? CA mirrors the type of environmental regulations that most first-world countries already have in place. Maybe a better question would be, WTF is in star san and fish flakes? WRT electrical regulations, CA currently enforces what the other 49 will come around to in ten years. Justification? Climate change, evidenced by the catastrophic wild fires. Can't wait around till your eyelids melt to invest in sunglasses, can you? GO CALIFORNIA!
It's phosphoric acid and a surfactant. If you have ever drank a coke, then you have drank the effective ingredient. Yes CA is very effective with the state sponsored rolling blackouts, very first world. I ordered some a month ago, just came in a bag and a box to FL through Amazon. I'd try a different seller, maybe direct from Midwest. It might be that specific seller on Amazon not wanting to deal with California. LHBS?

Last edited:
@ESBE I’m thick headed. You don’t happen to live in an area that could be affected by the fires do you? I remember ordering something last year that was delayed by UPS because one of the hubs the package would be routed through was impacted by fires. Neither myself nor where I was ordering from had any issue with fires. More than likely whats going on.

Brand new cider press, ready to start my first batch, but attempt to order gallon of Starsan from Amazon got message " This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location. " Is a regular street address. so what is going on? I have recently encountered the same "cannot ship to CA" when buying, of all things, Koi fish food. Anyone know anything about this issue?
I order it from Morebeer as needed. Their Pittsburgh (California) warehouse usually has it to me in 2-3 days.

Latest posts

Back