Starsan Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArroganceFan

Reaction score
I just sanitized my carboy for the first time, every other time has been the plastic buckets, and I was just wondering how long it takes for the starsan bubbles to go away? How much of that should I worry about getting out? I know some is ok, but how anal should I be about getting as much out of it as I can?f

I am making Edworts Apfelwein, if that makes any difference.

Sometimes, they never go away. They just seem to 'harden' in place.

Regardless, don't fear the foam -- the foam is good. Just get enough out that it won't be annoying when you add your wort, must, juice, etc.

Just get the liquid out (reasonably well), and all is fine. Star San will neutralize and break-down into yeast nutrient in the fermenter. I have left a full quart in the carboy (by accident) for a 5 gal batch of beer with no detectable effects.

I put about 4 cups of sanitizer in my carboy and swirl/shake it around for a minute or so before pouring it out.

As it's coming out swirl the jug in a circle to create a vortex/funnel and most of the bubbles will pour out with the liquid. :D

Somewhat related, is it harmful to get the diluted StarSan on your skin?

Do you all wear gloves when dealing with the diluted version? The reason i ask if b/c when i soak my bottles in here, i was fishing them out and my arms and hands got soaked in this. This is the first time i have used this product, just curious for next time.

The first time I used StarSan, the bubbles freaked me out as well. I actually rinsed them away with hot tap water, which I now realize was a mistake.

Since then, I've learned to embrace the foam and rack on top of it without hesitation. Sometimes when I'm filling a keg, the foam rises out the top and onto the sides...all the better, I figure. The foam sticks to everything and IMO helps sanitize better. My beers have been coming out spectactular, foam and all.

Just drain the liquid and whatever foam goes with it, and don't sweat the rest. It's a good thing. :D

I don't worry about getting it on my hands, it's pretty mild stuff when diluted properly.

Atl300zx said:
Somewhat related, is it harmful to get the diluted StarSan on your skin?

Do you all wear gloves when dealing with the diluted version? The reason i ask if b/c when i soak my bottles in here, i was fishing them out and my arms and hands got soaked in this. This is the first time i have used this product, just curious for next time.

The Star San seems to dry my hands out a little. Not enough to bother me but I do sometime ware gloves but more often than not the Star San gets in the gloves too.

A little bit of Star San is actually beneficial to the yeast as it provides some nutrients.

I get Star San solution all over my hands and arms when brewing and never had any ill effect from it. I don't worry about the foam at all and rack my beer right on top of the huge wads of it that are left after I dump the solution out of my fermenter. Usually my kitchen has Star San puddles all over the floor when I'm done :D

Go to the archives at the Brewing network and find the episode with Charley Tally from 5 Star Chemicals. It will copletely amaze you what he says about Star-san.

Well worth the listen.

Bottom Line, Star-san is the wonder sanitizer, don't fear the foam.

636-ohthefoam.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I poured the apple juice, I was making edworts apfelwein, right onto the bubbles, and as it filled up the foam came out. I couldnt quite fit all 5 of the gallons in there, but most of it.

Back