Starch conversion temperature problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdfmorais

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brewing right now and I have a problem.

When a added water to get to 66º Celsius, the temperature went all the way up to 73º for 1 or 2 minutes. I've read somewhere that only in mash out we should go above 72º. Did I ruin this batch?

Hi all,

I'm brewing right now and I have a problem.

When a added water to get to 66º Celsius, the temperature went all the way up to 73º for 1 or 2 minutes. I've read somewhere that only in mash out we should go above 72º. Did I ruin this batch?

if you can cool down quickly the temperature, it should be ok. at 70°C beta amilases might lose 50% of activity, but you may still have some activity to have a fermentable mash.
How is the iodine test going?

not even betadine to medicate little wounds?
however, good luck!

You'll be fine. I've done the same thing, and the beer came out great.

Enzyme denaturing does not happen instantly when you reach a particular temperature, but the higher the temperature, the faster they denature. The upper useful temperature occurs where the denaturing happens faster than the enzymes can get a useful amount of work done.

RDWHAHB.

Brew on :mug:

Back