Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stavrose

Reaction score
As you can see, Star san is cheap an effective sanitizer, cheap when you order it if you're in the US

I order X2 bottles 32oz of Star san. I live outside the US so I had to use a forwarding company to ship them for me, they costed me like $300 for the weight and for the packaging, and also to store them in a designated place in the airport. I'm wondering if there is any alternative product that replaces Star san, not a liquid for sure, but tablets will do the fine.

$300 :eek:

At that price you should consider not greasing the rip off machine. Or order quantities that justify the crazy bureaucratic overhead and start selling it. IOW, become an unofficial importer/reseller.

Can you get Iodine based sanitizers? e.g., Iodophor or similar.

The problem is with the labels that was on the box, it came like this from the US :/ that made it a big issue for them here in my country.

I'm not sure if it's going to be the same for Iodophor.
IMG-20151130-WA0001_zpsjsmr0w87.jpeg

I see corrosive on my label but nowhere do I see flammable, or Isopropyl alcohol listed.

By the way, N.O.S. = Not Otherwise Specified:

A package like "that" shipping to Andalous may draw some attention. I would follow the recommendations of bleach, 3-5% diluted. Don't know that Campden tablets will give you the sanitation of Star San.

Where are you located? You may talk to some local breweries to see if they can help you out with acid sanitizer. They may be able to sell you small quantities or just add a small container to their order.

Thank you for your replies. I will try using campden tablets and if that didn't work, I will go for the bleach. I live in a country where alcohol is illegal, so my only choice is to make wine. Thanks again!

Yeah, save time, money, & hassle, and use bleach. Just remember to rinse, rinse again, and then rinse a few more times.

Use thin unscented bleach and rinse with a metabisulfite (campden) solution.

Back