Star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't want to wait at all, Starsan is a no-rinse, wet contact sanitizer, your want residue/foam on the surfaces you are filling. That way any microorganism that come in contact with the surfaces are killed as well as any that was killed by the sanitizer, that may have already been on stuff, it's a two-pronged attack. Any starsan residue breaks down into yeast food once contact is made with the actual beer.

The minimum recommended wet/contact time listed on the label is 1 minute.

When I bottle, I put my clean bottles in a small tub of Star San solution and shake each one to wet the inside. I don't wait for each bottle to completely fill, only long enough that maybe an ounce or two gets in there. Then I dump each bottle back into the tub and place them upside down in a sanitized 2 gal pail, maybe 8 or 10 at a time (whatever fits) to drain. Then, I just pull the drained, upside down bottles one at a time as I fill them. When those are all gone I take a small bottling break to load up the bucket again.

No doubt there may be faster ways with sprayers and bottling tree, etc. but my method doesn't add much time on my occasional bottling days and cost me nothing extra in materials/equipment.

I'm glad I stopped doing it the hard way & got a bottle tree & vinator. Fill the vinator half way or better with starsan,give each bottle 5 pumps,then onto the tree. When tree is full,bottle away.

Depending on the bottles, too. I like giving new bottles and recycled bottles a wash in generic unscented oxyclean first. I fill my sink with oxyclean water and soak the bottles and scrub them out with a bottle brush if needed. This will clean out any dust or funk or dead yeast debris from the bottles. From there, they get a rinse in clean water on the other side of the sink and they sit until brew day. On brew day, I scrub out one side of my metal kitchen sink and hose it down with bleach water, then rinse it out well and add idophor. I dunk the bottles in idophor, shake once, drain them and rest the bottle on an idophor sanitized bottle tree. I do this right before I bottle my beers. Drying isn't necessary and they stay sanitary until needed. Caps also get a soak in idophor water.

Typically, i'll fill half a case of beer at a time, then stop, cap them and return to bottling the rest. It's just what I like to do.

I rinsed all my bottles and buckets with star San but they still have some foam/suds in them after an hour and a half. The bottles are dry but the suds won't go away. Should I rinse them out with water or just bottle my beer?

Dare I say keg it? :)

Wow you hit my over/under of 4 posts right on the money before someone chimes in the keg it response to a bottling question.

This does nothing to answer the posters question.

OP, just bottle into the wet bottles.

The minimum recommended wet/contact time listed on the label is 1 minute.

If you listen to the podcast which has been linked on here thousands of time on here, with Charles Talley you will know that the time listed on the label is the FDA mandated contact time, not that ACTUAL kill time, which is between 15 and 30 seconds.

Valuable info from this thread.....

(StarSan).......ACTUAL kill time, which is between 15 and 30 seconds.......

(StarSan).......Any starsan residue breaks down into yeast food once contact is made with the actual beer.

I'm smarter today than I was yesterday. :mug:

I'm glad I stopped doing it the hard way & got a bottle tree & vinator. Fill the vinator half way or better with starsan,give each bottle 5 pumps,then onto the tree. When tree is full,bottle away.

Does that really save time?

We grab 2 bottles in each hand, submerge all four bottles in a 5 gallon bucket for a few seconds, then dump them out.

Wife sanitizes while I bottle.

Latest posts

Back