star san sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOMEBREWZ

Reaction score
hey i was just wondering if its safe that theres trace amounts of star san in the beer because i know theres a little bit of the foam and what not in the bottles/kegs/fermentors when i put the beer in, and when i bottle theres a little in there, i dont know if its dangerous to drink. the label on the star san makes it sound that way but im not dead yet so lol .:mug:

ok thats what i was thinking but just reading the label on it was making me think otherwise

Yeah, don't gargle with undiluted star-san, but at proper diluted strength, a little bit in the beer is fine.

from videos and pics ive been looking at people are not worried at all about it. even filling a carboy right after they dump out the star san with big blobs of foam still sitting in it

You WANT trace amounts of sanitizer in whatever you are using. If using a no-rinse/wet contact sanitizer like iodophor or starsan you should always sanitize fresh, and leave things wet. You should sanitize on bottling day (or brew day if you are brewing.) It only takes a few minutes. If you let a no-rinse, wet contact sanitizer like starsan or iodophor, dry your are reducing it's efficacy by half. If it is dry, any micro organisms that touch the surface render it no longer sanitized. If the walls are wet with sanitizer, that organism would be toast. But dry it would still be alive.

In fact because of that, the inventor of starsan worked it out so that starsan breaks down into "yeast food" in fact many of the compounds are found in most softdrinks, so they are perfectly safe when at the correct dillution.

There's a lot of great info in this thread, including the links to podcasts about the two most effective sanitizers we use, iodophor and starsan.

Sanitizer Question.

Revvy said:
You WANT trace amounts of sanitizer in whatever you are using. If using a no-rinse/wet contact sanitizer like iodophor or starsan you should always sanitize fresh, and leave things wet. You should sanitize on bottling day (or brew day if you are brewing.) It only takes a few minutes. If you let a no-rinse, wet contact sanitizer like starsan or iodophor, dry your are reducing it's efficacy by half. If it is dry, any micro organisms that touch the surface render it no longer sanitized. If the walls are wet with sanitizer, that organism would be toast. But dry it would still be alive.

In fact because of that, the inventor of starsan worked it out so that starsan breaks down into "yeast food" in fact many of the compounds are found in most softdrinks, so they are perfectly safe when at the correct dillution.

There's a lot of great info in this thread, including the links to podcasts about the two most effective sanitizers we use, iodophor and starsan.

Sanitizer Question.

And this is why I always wonder why people sanitize their bottles with a vinator on bottling day just to let them dry on the bottle tree?!?! I just sanitize a bottle fill it and cap. Maybe its a little slower but I'm drinking anyways.

And this is why I always wonder why people sanitize their bottles with a vinator on bottling day just to let them dry on the bottle tree?!?! I just sanitize a bottle fill it and cap. Maybe its a little slower but I'm drinking anyways.

You Shouldn't let them dry on the bottle tree. You can let them drain, but they should still be wet. Otherwise you're only getting half the job of protection happening.

I sanitize with a vinator and put them on a bottle tree when I bottle. The bottles are never dry when the beer goes in. It would take a while for that to happen...

I think people use the bottle tree to have a convenient place to drain the excess sanitizer and grab bottles. At least that's why I use it...

I used to use a dishwasher but after recently being banned from the kitchen, I now use the vinator/bottle tree method. I should have been doing it all along...

yeah thats how ive been doing it vinator,tree,bottle.though i have been kegging a little bit these days :)

I filled my keg with Star San and left it for a couple days. When preparing to keg some beer, i emptied out the star San and noticed a film or cloudiness left in the keg. Is this ok? When I mix up star San with tap water, it gets cloudy after a day. So far I haven't noticed any bad flavor with the batches I've brewed

Back