Star-San question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpfeifle0306

Reaction score
Hello All,
Just getting into this fascinating hobby by doing a couple of 1 gallon kits. Everything seems to be going great so far (time will tell). However, I just purchased some Star-San to use for my next batch. The mixture level is 2 tablespoons to 5 gallons from the back of the package. So for a 1 gallon mix, I calculate it to 1.2 teaspoons. So my question, how exact does this have to be? If it were 1.5 teaspoons would it cause a problem. Is there something else I could get to measure more accurately (if needed)? Thanks,

Kevin

Teaspoons and tablespoons are a bit crazy and old fashioned.

1 oz for 5 gallons.

.5 oz for 2.5 g

.25 oz for 1.25 g

They sell Starsan bottles with the measuring container built right in. Makes life easy.

Pro Tip: Don't fear the foam. It's ok. It won't hurt your beer. I've drank Starsan (mixed properly) before. It tastes like lemonade... except without the sugar and lemon flavor... if that makes any sense. No true way to describe it. I don't really recommend it as a thirst quencher.

Enjoy your new addiction... ahem... I mean new hobby!

i have also use the Starsan in the bottles with the measuring container built on. It makes it much easier. Starsan is a great product.

^^ what he said.

If you mix starsan with distilled water it is pretty stable. You can keep some handy in a spray bottle. I mix up 2.5 gallons in a keg when I need to and then keep using it for multiple batches. Buckets will work just as well.

If you go too high on your concentration it can exceed it's no rinse standard. Starsan is designed around a certain conentration and outside of that I can be ineffective or potentially detrimental. Remember, the following adage does NOT apply: if a little is good a lot is better.

For a 1 gallon batch, I use the measure on the top of the Starsan bottle. 3/4's of the way up to the 1/4oz mark is just right for 1 gallon of water. I too use a dollar store spray bottle for my Starsan to use on the fly. The Arizona ice tea 1 gallon jugs are the sturdiest I've found for storing it.

Mix up more than you need and put the extra in a spray bottle. Handy to have for sanitizing carboy or bucket openings, airlock bungs, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What others have said. Either the medicine syringe or the Star San bottle itself. I always use the Star San bottle. For a medicine syringe, I went to the Walmart pharmacy. They gave it to me for free...not like they cost much anyway but free is free lol

I always make a gallon worth in a distilled water jug. Mix it up. Put some in a spray bottle and the rest I leave in the jug.

And to answer your last question, putting a little more or a little less won't hurt anything. Just don't put in too much or too less.

The great thing about this hobby is that it's forgiving for the most part. With the sanitizing, it's always better to error on the side of clean.. Going a little heavy with the mixture of star-san won't hurt your a single bit... Going too light though could cause you to not have a good sanitary fermenter... For smaller batches, I always use a turkey injector syringe to measure out the right amount, plus a pinch more. Enjoy!!

I also use a medicine syringe I only like to make 1 gallon at a time, I squirt it right into the distilled water jug, & give it a shake. I always label the jug with Sharpie. I use about 1/2 on brew day and the rest when I bottle works great!

Back