Star San in Corney's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbtarlicca

Reaction score
Just wondering how long you leave Star San in Corney Kegs? I've been leaving it in the kegs until I need for the next batch. Any one know of problems with that?

It depends on your water and probably a bunch of other factors that I don't know about. Generally as long as the pH is below 3.5 (If I remember right) then it's ok. When I make starsan with my tap water it turns turbid/milky within hours which generally means it should not be used. However, podcasts from brewstrong suggest that this is not actually true. If the solution turns cloudy it "suggests" that the pH might be above 3.5 but it often is caused by iron and manganese (I believe) in the water that causes no harmful effects.

Short answer: If you made it with RO or distilled water it should last indefinitely. If made with tap water I can't tell you. Only a pH meter will tell you with confidence whether it is good. I mix a gallon up at a time with distilled water for a spray bottle and odd jobs which lasts me ~3months.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/charlie-talley-five-star-chemicals-notes-brewcasts-58928/

The starsan is not in danger (assuming RO/distilled) but the stainless might get pitted. I think I read a thread like this here.

Back