Star San disaster...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cincybrewer said:
Does star san do damage if spilled on granite or hardwood? And is that in the diluted form or just the concentrated? I've splashed the diluted stuff everywhere but haven't noticed any damage yet.

I would think it would wreak havoc on hardwood in the concentrated form.

It sounds to me like everyone who has issues with the cap needs to inform the company about the problem. I'm relatively new at brewing and I'm still on my first bottle of StarSan (it's only an 8 oz. size) but I haven't had this issue yet. I'll be sure to look out for it. If the issue is widespread then they should fix the cap, but the only way they will know about it is if people tell them.

Star san is caustic. Caustic by definition is capable of burning, corroding, or destroying living tissue. Pretty sure star san falls into that category. ;)

:off: I thought technically caustic refered to a corrosive alkali? As in caustic soda/caustic potash.

Fixed it for you ;)
Star san is corrosive. A corrosive by definition is capable of burning, corroding, or destroying living tissue. Pretty sure star san falls into that category. ;)

By scientific convention, "caustic" refers to bases. But according to the definition of the word, then yes, acids are also caustic. So technically, star san is a caustic. But if you told a chemist it was caustic, he/she would likely assume it was basic.

I stopped ordering StarSan mail order because of the cap. Got all over my order. Lucky everything was sealed in plastic, but what a waste! Also, I have Corian counter tops. I recommend not leaving the bottle out overnight on your counter top. Will burn in a mark. Had to sand/polish a couple spots before I caught on.

By scientific convention, "caustic" refers to bases. But according to the definition of the word, then yes, acids are also caustic. So technically, star san is a caustic. But if you told a chemist it was caustic, he/she would likely assume it was basic.

you are using caustic, when you mean corrisive. Caustic is on one side of the pH scale and acids are on the other. I can post you MSDS sheets if you'd like.

This thread is heading in the wrong direction fast.

i too have had issues with counter tops. i had a 5 gal bucket that had some on the bottom. when i pulled the bucket of the counter there was a perfect ringe were the bucket sat. 3 week old counters. my wife was pissed. luckily she got over it.

you are using caustic, when you mean corrisive. Caustic is on one side of the pH scale and acids are on the other. I can post you MSDS sheets if you'd like.

No, i said caustic, and I meant caustic, but thanks for trying to tell me what i meant. :D I completely agree with you that in scientific lingo, caustic means base. I stated that above.

HOWEVER, Per websters dictionary, Caustic: capable of destroying or eating away by chemical action : corrosive.

So while the standard scientific definition of caustic means base, the english definition of the word is essentially the same as corrosive.

All that having been said, regardless of how we refer to star san, I'ma keep wearing gloves when I handle the undiluted stuff. :D

Malintent said:
Is it common sense that so many brewers in this thread with their own disaster story lack? Is that what you are saying?

Making a mistake doesn't mean you lack common sense. I dont think anyone intentionally stored their bottle on it's side. THAT would display a lack of common sense.

I stopped ordering StarSan mail order because of the cap. Got all over my order. Lucky everything was sealed in plastic, but what a waste! Also, I have Corian counter tops. I recommend not leaving the bottle out overnight on your counter top. Will burn in a mark. Had to sand/polish a couple spots before I caught on.

What type of sandpaper and polish did you use?

I have 2 shot-glass size rings on my Corian countertop from measuring StarSan in. I used a magic eraser and that helped...but you can still see the ring in the right light.

Some (common sense, IMO) tips for starsan use:

1) there are two caps. open the cap on the side that has the measuring gradients on it (1/2 oz and 1 oz lines) and squeeze the bottle to fill to the desired line. Then pour into the vessel with the water already in it.
2) return the cap to the container, gently tighten (more is not better), and rinse the entire bottle of starsan.
3) wipe excess water off the container and return to storage

Saw another thread about a star san incident and remembered I never posted the picture of my little incident.
c28d90cc.jpg

Saw another thread about a star san incident and remembered I never posted the picture of my little incident.
Doesn't look so bad in the photo (although in real life it probably is a lot worse) but I wouldn't want to see under that carpet :eek:

Doesn't look so bad in the photo (although in real life it probably is a lot worse) but I wouldn't want to see under that carpet :eek:

All the fibers for the carpet were gone, that's not just wet looking spots, those spots are actually just the backing. Hard to tell with the black I guess. The underlayment has a backing on it that is pretty hard so luckily it didn't go through. If I had to pay it was about $1300

Latest posts

Back