Star San disaster...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's also common sense that when you order a cup of hot coffee, the contents therein will be HOT. How much to McDonalds pay that idiot? how much did it cost for them to have to print the warning on their cups?

That was frivolous, but successful.

It actually wasn't successful in the end.

:off:

It's also common sense that when you order a cup of hot coffee, the contents therein will be HOT. How much to McDonalds pay that idiot? how much did it cost for them to have to print the warning on their cups?

ultimately not successful, thanks to deep pockets on McDonald's side, but surely not frivolous -

victim was 79, required skin grafts. McDonalds had over 500 legal complaints of EXCESSIVE heat prior to that case - McDonalds requires their coffee maker vendor to bypass the normal temperature range of 150 and bump it up to 170. That's well past "be careful, it's hot!"

okay, back to topic.
OP - hope you check under (what's left of) the carpet for possible corrosion ...

Every bottle of Star-San I've had either 1) leaked, or 2) ended up with a broken cap...

There's a reason that when it's shipped, it's often covered in plastic/tape/etc....

I agree. The caps are crap and crack way to easily.

Fortunately the stuff inside works great!

yes, really. Caustic chemicals are no joke. If a company produces a potentially dangerous product and fail to take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of those using the product in the recommended way... then they are liable for damages their lack of Due Care caused.

Any reasonable person would agree that a caustic chemical should have a cap on it that reasonably prevents spillage. this does not appear to be the case. In fact, I am sure the EPA would have something to say about it.

So, you know its a dangerous chemical in its undiluted form, but you still think it is the fault of someone else that it caused damage? Seriously?

You're telling me you expect your drano, paint cans, milk, water jugs, LME containers all to perform flawlessly if fallen on the side? I would never expect such a thing, I take care to make sure any lidded, but not sealed container is in the proper storage direction.

You must be demented. If not demented, certainly part of the problem of today's society.

Sad sad sad.

Why is it always someone else's fault???

because this is America. :rolleyes:

I don't dismiss that the caps suck, but jumping to sueing? C'mon, you know (or should have read the label of a chemicla when purchasing) that it is very acidic and used precaution. Not the manufacturers fault.

This isn't to the OP, it's to the guy talking lawsuits and those like him ruining the country.

It's great stuff, if some mofo starts a class action and deprives us of one of our best time saving tools then **** 'em. Inform the guys at five star and let them know that their caps could do with improvement seeing as they are not selling to professionals who are used to handling those bakeite caps on their chemical bottles when they are sober...hand nasty chemicals to a load of drucken dudes and something will get burned....sometimes carpet....class action, why can't people take responsibility for their actions these days?
/drucken rant

Why is it always someone else's fault???

because this is America. :rolleyes:

:off:

I blame Austin Homebrew. They seem to be to blame for everything these days?

Of cours I'm kidding.

Back on topic. I learned that when you're dealing with chemicals: 1) read the label so you know what you're dealing with, 2) handle, store, use, etc. appropriately.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/491/

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/490/

You picked it up during lunch if I read that right, could it have gotten too hot in your truck and burst the top off?

I never leave ANY chemical stuff (or meds) in my car at all. If I buy something like that it goes into my purse (upright) while I run into whatever store I need to.

I leaned my lesson after I put a box with drier sheets and one of those gummy rats in my trunk and didn't take it out until the next morning. I took one bite of that rat's tail and just about threw up, it tasted like the drier sheets.

tighten the cap much and it cracks. I've had it leak before too but not in a bad place.

look at it this way..if it can eat carpet, it surely can kill unwanted beer bugs.

All you have to do is overtighten it a little bit and the top of the cap pops out in a disc.

yeah, i definitely don't have this problem. Of course, I bought this bottle about a month ago, so maybe their cap design has been improved some time recently?

yeah, i definitely don't have this problem. Of course, I bought this bottle about a month ago, so maybe their cap design has been improved some time recently?

I just bought it, was on the way home from the LHBS with it. I never touched the cap. Really why would you think to check the cap on something you just grabbed off the store shelf?

my caps usually are fine for a few months before they crack...
so I don't know if they've improved any lately -

of course my 32 ounce bottle barely has a dent, so if they fix these caps I won't know it for a long time

do you guys have uber strength because my caps are pretty good

I bought the smallest bottles for a long time, and never had one break. I bought the bigger bottle, and the cap busted by just looking at it hard.

EDIT: oh, but of course I DO have uber strength!!

I just received a new 32oz bottle to use once I finsih with my first small bottle. I have about an inch left so it'll be a while before I open it. BMW did however ship the new bottle with the caps wrapped and taped :mug: So that is how it sits. I'll save a couple two liter caps for when it's time to open the new one....now if we only drank pop.

Definitely recommend replacing the caps with those from soda bottles, or your yeast vials.

I'm surprised that they didn't recommend neutralizing the acid first. That's what I would do. Toss a bunch of baking soda on it. Keep adding until it stops bubbling. Then rinse and rinse and rinse.

As far as acids go, phosphoric is not as bad as some of the others - it is slower acting. Now HCl is pretty nasty, strong and fast acting. Sulfuric is pretty nasty too. Not as quick acting, but really rough on organic materials. If these were at the same concentration as the phosphoric acid in Starsan (concentrate), if I spilled some on my hand, I would be washing it off ASAP! With the Starsan, I wouldn't be quite so urgent. Definitely not good, but there are worse.

I'm surprised that they didn't recommend neutralizing the acid first. That's what I would do. Toss a bunch of baking soda on it. Keep adding until it stops bubbling. Then rinse and rinse and rinse.

Throwing baking soda on it might yield more bubbles than you are prepared for. I can just see his F150 with foam oozing out of the windows and doors.

I'd be willing to pay a little more per bottle for some decent caps, not $5, but 10-50 cents would be fine with me. Shoot, I'd even buy some high quality caps made for the Starsan container for a few bucks if they made them.

This is all good info. I'm using Iodophor right now but considering trying Star San because I like the "Squirt Bottle with diluted Star San" idea. Thanks for the heads up; I'll be putting that bottle in an old cake pan on the counter for sure, don't need to be buying new countertops right now!

I'd be willing to pay a little more per bottle for some decent caps, not $5, but 10-50 cents would be fine with me. Shoot, I'd even buy some high quality caps made for the Starsan container for a few bucks if they made them.

Apparently caps from soda bottles work just fine.

All you have to do is overtighten it a little bit and the top of the cap pops out in a disc.

Yes. This happened to me. I wish I had a picture of my face when it happened, I was like WFTOMG :confused: my new pricey, giant bottle of starsan now has no lid!

I just sent their product support department a link to this thread. Maybe they'll see that there is a big problem and do something about it. They may not even know.

Odds are they just buy the bottles stock from another company, so it's not really a matter of them doing something about the caps. What they'll need to do is find another bottle and/or bottle supplier. They may have to pay more for the bottles and pass the costs on, but it shouldn't be that much of a difference per bottle.

The label on the container does not warn not to overtighten the cap, nor does it indicate to store upright. I think the label can be improved, if not the cap.

Do not overtighten cap.
Do not store or transport in an unsafe manner.

But, after your deductible, at least your insurance will cover any damages... I've done some bonehead things to my jeep where I needed to file a claim.. GEICO was cool about it. That's why they call it an accident.

Malintent said:
The label on the container does not warn not to overtighten the cap, nor does it indicate to store upright. I think the label can be improved, if not the cap.

Do not overtighten cap.
Do not store or transport in an unsafe manner.

But, after your deductible, at least your insurance will cover any damages... I've done some bonehead things to my jeep where I needed to file a claim.. GEICO was cool about it. That's why they call it an accident.

So you want a common sense clause?

I suppose it's a risk in the crossover market of extremely good professional products being used by amateurs.

They can't reckon with every level of stupid.

I broke both caps on mine too by the way, I've burned holes in trousers one day dropping a bottle of sulphuric in my bathroom that I hadn't put the lid back on correctly to. luckily it only splashed a small amount and I wear glasses, but I saw smoke rise off of my plastic trousers as they developed holes in them. I didn't complain for being a ******* with dangerous chemicals, I just counted my blessings.

if you have something that you put 1 ounce of into 5 gallons, and that diluted solution is strong enough to get your equipment sanitary enough for food storage - wouldnt you think the concentrated stuff is something you shouldnt mess around with??

yes, really. Caustic chemicals are no joke. If a company produces a potentially dangerous product and fail to take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of those using the product in the recommended way... then they are liable for damages their lack of Due Care caused.

Any reasonable person would agree that a caustic chemical should have a cap on it that reasonably prevents spillage. this does not appear to be the case. In fact, I am sure the EPA would have something to say about it.

Star san is not caustic its acidic :rolleyes:

I can relate, I had the star san sitting on the counter top and somehow it leaked and now I have a permanent stain/fade shape of the starsan container on my countertop! The concentrate was probably only there for a couple hours too! Was not real happy about that and lesson learned.

Hah, I just noticed a StarSan bottle shape on my counters as well. Sucks.

My counters have been hit by starsan as well, however the stuff is great for killing wasps.

Does star san do damage if spilled on granite or hardwood? And is that in the diluted form or just the concentrated? I've splashed the diluted stuff everywhere but haven't noticed any damage yet.

Back