Star San contact time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
Is there a maximum amount of tIme the star San solution should be in contact with plastics?
Basically, is there a problem with filling up my fermentation bucket with star San before I start the boil and letting it sit for 1-2 hours?

I would guess that there probably is an issue with some plastics and starsan due to its low acidity but there isn't any harm leaving it in your fermentation bucket for a few hours. I make starsan 5 gallons at a time and store it in a Lowes bucket. I haven't noticed it to have had any effect on the bucket at all.

Yeah, 1-2 hrs is no problem. I've done it. I also made the mistake of leaving my vinyl tubing in a bucket of Star San for 2 weeks. It was not good. The tubing was really soft, sloughing off in my hands and the Star San was really milk white. Tossed the batch and tubing. At the bottom of the bucket was liquid plastic as well.

I use plastic FV's,& clean them thoroughly peice by peice. Starsan contact time of a minute or two is more than enough. It works faster than a couple hours. never an infection.

^ I'm guessing he's asking because it's easy to do it before he boils rather then wait.

As was said above, I keep starsan on hand in a 5g homer bucket, perpetually.

I've never had a problem whatsoever. I do try to change out with fresh starsan every 2-3 weeks, but I just refill the same bucket when I do. I love starsan. I use it for everything. Rinsing bottles before storing them, rinsing growlers. Almost every thing I wash gets PBW for cleaning, rinsed clean with pure h20, and then a dip in starsan before drying. It's probably not necessary, but it does give you a clean feeling rinse.

maximum amount of time with plastic bucket(food grade)I cannot say I've seen it. Like jbaysurfer I use my 5 gal bucket perpetually as well. The best thing I have found is use pure water when mixing. If your water has alkaline minerals it can turn cloudy. This is due the the acidity of SatarSan precipitating the minerals.

Back