Star san ate threw my counter top!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_4iT

Reaction score
It didn't completely eat threw, however I noticed every spot I placed the bottle of star san a half oval the shape of the bottle discolored the counter top. I even tried polish sanding to bring it back but nope. BEWARE!

I ha laminate counters that were permanently stained when some star San leaked onto it and it sat a while. Almost looked like it was bleached.

Happened to my corian countertops too. I used a shot glass to measure and there are 2 shot glass rings on the countertop now. Scrubbing it made it a tiny bit better visibily, but it's totally etched...no getting it out.

I ha laminate counters that were permanently stained when some star San leaked onto it and it sat a while. Almost looked like it was bleached.

Exactly what happened, it is whiter in those spots than the rest of the counter. I'll get some pics.

I have a completely white spot on my otherwise dark green countertop. I think it's from StarSan, but I don't remember having it where the damage is. I don't know wht else would have caused it.

Sucks about your counter top. :-/

The thing I have tried to make clear to friends when talking about star-san.... this stuff is strong enough that when you dilute it at a ration of FIVE GALLONS of water to 1 oz (which is a 640:1 dilution) its still strong enough to sanitize in 30 seconds or so....... so yeah, its nasty.

Happened to my corian countertops too. I used a shot glass to measure and there are 2 shot glass rings on the countertop now. Scrubbing it made it a tiny bit better visibily, but it's totally etched...no getting it out.

I thought corian could be lightly sanded to repair? At least I thought that was the selling point? I have corian as well. Good to know.

Good to know I am not the only one. Totally ruined a countertop complete with oval and also dripped over onto dishwasher face peeling the paint off. Also a newly remodeled kitchen two years ago. SWMBO not so impressed to say the least. I'm sick about too, actually. Expensive batch of hefe!

Undiluted StarSan stays in my garage storage room now. When I need more solution, I mix it out there. It will never again see my kitchen.

BrewThruYou said:

The first thing I thought of when I read the OP was "boy I'm glad I have Corian." Guess I need to be careful with the undiluted stuff, but I use properly mixed stuff to clean up after brewing tasks...

I thought corian could be lightly sanded to repair? At least I thought that was the selling point? I have corian as well. Good to know.

Corian can actually have tiny sections replaced, but I don't know the price. Undiluted starsan never comes out of the garage for me now.

I think you can sand it, but I'm worried that I'd make it look even more visibly "messed-up" and then have to go the replacement route. Right now, you can only see the etchings if the light hits it a certain way.

I read another thread where some guy had new construction (like me) and tried to claim there was an install defect. They used tons of different chemicals and the etching was still there.

Good to see others. My wife purchased countertops for the kitchen out of her own money a few years back. Needless to say after 2 cap size marks and one bottle size mark (it took this one to figure out what was doing it) starsan has to stay in the garage. :eek:

Interesting. I haven't had any issues using Star San in my kitchen. I even spray down my counter tops with it while I am brewing. I have also gotten it on my hardwood floor and left it for an hour or so while brewing. Never any issues. I know the stuff can be pretty nasty in its undiluted form, but it has been harmless for me when diluted. Check the PH. You may need to dilute further.

I had the same thing happen to a green laminate countertop. It slowly, very slowly faded over time

It's weird because I'm always very careful, fill the reservoir with a little star san, pour usually a small quantity (like a drop) into whatever I'm sanitizing. So this is only happening with a miniscule amount running down the side of the bottle and settling in the shape of the bottom.

I'm very cheap and conservative especially with this stuff.

Latest posts

Back