Stalled Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
I'm in the 4th day of secondary fermentation in a 1 gallon carboy with a dual sided airlock. I have vodka in the airlock. The vodka is now almost level on both chambers of the dual sided airlock. The first few days, gas escaped every 10 minutes or so. Should I do anything? Is this normal? Is my fermentation stalled? I'm a newby and learning a lot from this forum. Thx.

I'm in the 4th day of secondary fermentation in a 1 gallon carboy with a dual sided airlock. I have vodka in the airlock. The vodka is now almost level on both chambers of the dual sided airlock. The first few days, gas escaped every 10 minutes or so. Should I do anything? Is this normal? Is my fermentation stalled? I'm a newby and learning a lot from this forum. Thx.

It sounds finished. It should start to clear in a bit. You can check a sg reading to make sure, if you want.

Airlock activity is not always a sign of fermentation or lack of, you need to check the wine with a hydrometer.

I have a hydrometer on order. Coming in a few more days. What reading should I expect? 1 gallon muscadine (Black Jumbo).

The hydrometer reading on my wine is at .995 after a week in secondary fermentation. What now? Just keep an eye on it and rack according to need? BTW, it actually tasted okay. Dry, but okay. No bitterness.

Rack every 60 days or when you have 1/4" or more of lees. I'd add 1/4 tsp kmeta every other racking. Repeat until wine is clear.

Latest posts

Back