Stalled Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck179577

Reaction score
Brewed a London Brown Ale yesterday (5gal batch, all grain).
Put it in the basement to ferment.
Today, I got no bubbles, no activity, no nothing.
Used Wyeast 1335.
Noticed today the temp is 57F.
Looked it up and Wyeast 1335 needs 63-75F.
So, I threw my brew bucket in my swamp cooler and poured in 5 gal of hot water (about 110F) to try and bring the wort up to the 63-75 mark.

How is this going to screw up my beer? Am I going to need to get another packet of yeast and repitch, or just wait a couple days and see what happens?

Most likely it's not screwed up at all, just stalled because of the cold temperature and the yeast going sleepy. Warm it back up to range, gently rouse the yeast and let it get going again. Too cold is always a better deal then too hot for sure:)

BTW, did you check gravity, that's really the only way you know what is happening with the beer. The airlock is just a vent.

Didn't check the gravity, but I understand your point. Think I'll gently warm it up and see what happens in 24 hrs. Next question: Should I quick get in there and re-aerate it?

Chuck179577 said:
Didn't check the gravity, but I understand your point. Think I'll gently warm it up and see what happens in 24 hrs. Next question: Should I quick get in there and re-aerate it?

NO! Do not aerate at this point.

Do not aerate once yeast is introduced to the wort.

Warm it up and gently stir to re-suspend the yeast after the wort has been at temp for a bit.
Personally in this situation I would warm the wort back to "pitching temp" then let it sit for a couple hours to see if the yeast naturally returns to activity, if not then I would gently stir the wort avoiding aeration as much as is possible.

Moon phase seems to be influencing yeast strongly this month. I have made an apple cider 2 days ago and have no activity, 2 meads last night and nothing this am and am about to pitch 2 more meads and do not expect much different even the smack packs swelled slowly.

I seriously think there is something to be said about pitching on or as close to a full moon as possible...

I pitched on my 2nd batch of pm pale ale yesterday with the best yeast cream I've gotten to date. Rigged a blow off,feeling certain it'd need it. At 5AM this morning,just a 1/2" of krausen. no mad bubbling yet. Haven't had a mad one in a couple batches now. Idk?...

Back