stalled fermentation....maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNuggs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So a little background.....I recently did a big mash for a blonde ale and did 3 separate boils. Grain bill was pretty simple....mostly 2-row with a touch of vienna, c-20 and c-pils. Mashed at 152 for 75 minutes and sparged to get 22.5 gallons. Did 3 separate boils using different hops, cooled to 65 and pitched yeast. One batch got a simple packet of US-05, the other two got some 6 week old re-harvested Conan yeast from a wheat ale. Fermented all 3 at 65 for 2-3 days and ramped temps up to 69 for another 10 days. Took a gravity reading over the weekend......the batch with US-05 went from 1.046 to 1.011 which was more or less what I was expecting. The two batches with Conan went from 1.046 to 1.015. I tasted a sample and there was definitely more residual sweetness than I wanted. I kegged the batch with US-05 and poured ~1/2 cup of leftover slurry into the higher FG batches to see if it would clean things up. It's now 3 days later and the gravity hasn't budged. Is it safe to assume that 1.015 is where this is ending up? Anyone have any ideas on how to get it a few points lower?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I wouldnt add anymore yeast at this point. Just raise the temps to 72-75 and gives it a few swirl motion shakes to get the yeast suspended if there settled. If that doesnt drop you a few points then thats where its going to be. Yeast are alive, you never know what to expect.

Back