stalled brew help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatyre

Reaction score
sorry guys I know it's been covered but I tried reading previous threads and didn't get very far. I have a coopers IPA in the fermenter for 14 days now and there hasn't been much action due to the cooler temperatures. The wort has spent most of the time around 55-60f, I used 500g of dark spray malt and 300g of dextrose if I remember correctly. People say the coopers IPA goes off like a rocket but the air lock has been fairly quiet on mine. I moved the fermenter under the stairs which is a steady 65f and took the lid off (no froth just some scuz on the side of the fermenter at fill level) today and gave it a good stir with a sanitised spoon. If the yeast comes back to life how soon should the airlock start bubbling? and if it doesn't whats the next thing to try? cheers

sorry guys I know it's been covered but I tried reading previous threads and didn't get very far. I have a coopers IPA in the fermenter for 14 days now and there hasn't been much action due to the cooler temperatures. The wort has spent most of the time around 55-60f, I used 500g of dark spray malt and 300g of dextrose if I remember correctly. People say the coopers IPA goes off like a rocket but the air lock has been fairly quiet on mine. I moved the fermenter under the stairs which is a steady 65f and took the lid off (no froth just some scuz on the side of the fermenter at fill level) today and gave it a good stir with a sanitised spoon. If the yeast comes back to life how soon should the airlock start bubbling? and if it doesn't whats the next thing to try? cheers

14 days and scuz on the side of the fermenter at fill level. I would say that the scuz is the remnants of the fallen krausen. Your fermentation is probably complete. Take a hydrometer reading today and then again in two more days. If both readings are the same you're ready to bottle.

CO2 from fermentation probably leaked from, around the lids seal rather than up through the airlock.

Don't stir it! It just sounds done.

Bottle it if the hydrometer reading is in the expected area, and is the same in two days.

cheers guys, i'm going to transfer it into a second fermenter and add 50g of dry goldings hops for 5 days. I should have about 20l of beer after leaving the crud behind (brewed it short at 21.5l). I did a quick calculation for the priming sugar, i'm using dextrose and it said to use 141g which seems very high, any ideas?

cheers guys, i'm going to transfer it into a second fermenter and add 50g of dry goldings hops for 5 days. I should have about 20l of beer after leaving the crud behind (brewed it short at 21.5l). I did a quick calculation for the priming sugar, i'm using dextrose and it said to use 141g which seems very high, any ideas?

That seems right to me for about 2.5 volumes and 5 gallons. 141g is just shy of 5 ounces.

A lot of people dry hop in primary...no need to transfer to secondary and risk oxidation. You need to take a hydrometer reading to see if your beer is finished.

Back