Stainless steel replacement head for March 809 pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian81

Reaction score
I've done a bit of digging and have found that chugger pump replacement heads (the stainless ones with the center inlet - http://chuggerpumps.com/product.php?prodid=221) apparently fit onto the 809 March pumps.

Does anyone know if these replacement heads are the 3/4" inlet and 1/2" outlet ones similar to the stainless steel housing that comes on the following:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/17319//March_Pump_-_With_High_Temp_Stainless_Steel_Housing

If not, does anyone know where to buy ONLY the stainless steel housing for a March 809 pump? I'd like to retrofit my current polysuphone housing with a stainless housing that has a larger inlet to help in my priming issues.

Thanks,
Julian

For priming issues, there's a few different things you may want to try before swapping out the head.

I'm assume you've seen the threads on head orientation (outlet at 12:00) and those that use a tee off the outlet to allow air to be purged.

Also, I saw a huge difference when I swapped out the impeller on my 809 to the one that they use on the 815. The difference in impeller size is pretty amazing: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/can-i-upgrade-typical-march-pump-hf-213577/index7.html#post2721498

Otherwise, if you want to know about the authentic March stainless head, you might want to PM WalterAtMarchPump as he's probably the best source of info.

Actually, I've already removed my polysuphone head and re-oriented it so that the outlet is pointing at 12:00. Inlet is pointing at 6:00. I did this before I even turned it on the first time, so this is how all my water tests were made (still in the progress of building my brewery ala theelectricbrewery.com)

I'm either thinking of swapping to the stainless housing or adding in a tee and ball valve to the inlet to purge air. I don't want to add in too many more fittings, so I'm leaning towards trying to find an adequate stainless housing with a larger center inlet.

As for the impeller, I bought two of the "high flow" 809s from morebeer. I believe this has the larger impeller already, or am I mistaken?

I'll ping WalterAtMarchPump. Thanks for the suggestion!

If anyone else has anymore details on the chugger pump stainless replacement housing, I'd still like to know if this will fit my needs.

the larger center inlet wont make much difference if you are running the standard dip tube, 1/2" ball valve, 1/2' hose. I have the center inlet march and the first thing i had to do was a put a reducer on the 3/4 inlet to be able to hoop up all my 1/2" stuff anyway. Now i do like the center inlet, Im just saying don't expect that to be a magic bullet if everything else is 1/2". Might want to look into the 815 impeller though.

Can you provide me more information on the 815 impeller? Where can I purchase this?

The cheapest place I found was Rebel Brewer.
They call it the 'Pimp My Pump Replacement Impeller'.

Thanks!

Reading the description on rebelbrewer, I think I must already have that impeller, because I bought 2 of the "high flow" March pumps from morebeer. morebeer product # H315HF.

edit: the above is confirmed by WalterAtMarchPumps - the 815 impeller is in the H315HF pump on morebeer, which is what I have.

You can get these from Chugger pumps. I had already bought a new Chugger pump but wanted a stainless head for my March 809 & they totally hooked up me up. Really great service - and knowledgable.

Yes, just get the chugger head it's fine and I've never had issues with priming the pump.

Back