Stainless Steel Brewing hop spider...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkUncle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase one of these for my keggle pot. However, I frequently brew 5 gallon batches so I'm unsure if the spider would go down far enough into the kettle and provide enough surface area for hop utilization.

Anyone have any input/experience with this?

Thanks all

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase one of these for my keggle pot. However, I frequently brew 5 gallon batches so I'm unsure if the spider would go down far enough into the kettle and provide enough surface area for hop utilization.

Anyone have any input/experience with this?

Thanks all

DO IT.

Well made and while I have only used my new hop spider twice I like it a lot. I'm using the giant spider from stainless brewing in a 15 gallon megapot 1.2, it almost touches the bottom of the pot. I think as long as you got the larger one hop utilization wouldn't be an issue.

I would just take a quick measure of the keggle vs. the specs on the stainlessbrewing site. If your real concerned I think you can e-mail him and he could make a slightly longer one but i'm sure you'd be fine.

I made a couple DIY hop spider with a 1 and 5 gallon paint strainer. The one seems too short, I think the 5 will be fine with my keggles.

i-th3FDHc-XL.jpg

A nice alternative to the PVC sleeve is a stainless garbage disposal collar, $10 on Amazon or $15 at Home Depot/Lowes. You don't need the 3 long arms, either, just a couple cheapo clips or hangers of some sort.

Back