Stainless Steel Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamies

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am sure you have seen plenty of posts about people and the fantastic breweries that they have. I know I have seen these posts and have been getting a little jealous. Well I have decided to change all that and decided to try and build my own. This won't be happening right away (due to lack of funds at the moment) but a little bit every now and then will help.

Now my thoughts are to use 50 Litre (not sure on how many gallons that is) kegs for the HLT, Mash Tun, Kettle and Fermenting Vessels.

I have attached a quick (not so quick as I am not very good at AutoCAD) sketch of what I was thinking.

Points I have thought:
  • How to keep the Mash at a consistent temp. Was thinking of some sort of heating device and something to stir the mash for the hour
  • Using something like BrewPi to try and keep track and a record of the temperatures on the HLT, Mash Tun and Kettle
  • Using a pump to transfer wort between vessels.
  • I would like to use electric instead of gas as winter is extremely cold around here.

Does anyone have any input on what I should be doing to assist in making this brewery simple to use which will allow me to gain consistent results.

I will also try and post pictures all of the way. :mug:

View attachment Brewery Design Model (1).pdf

If you are planning to use heater elements I suggest you consider draining out the bottom of the HLT/Kettle/MLT instead of the sides.

I am currently plugging the outlet holes in my keggles and retrofitting with underdrains...totally wishing I had done it this way to start.

If you are planning to use heater elements I suggest you consider draining out the bottom of the HLT/Kettle/MLT instead of the sides.

This is a great idea, are there any threads that show this being done? will it only work with keggles?

I've seen a few posts...some turn the keg upside-down and use a tri-clover fitting (2" to 1/2" NPT I think) to connect what was the top, cut a 12" hole in what was the bottom.

If you've already got the 12" hole in the top (like me) you drill a new hole either in the bottom of the dome (I've seen a few in the side of the dome near the bottom too). From there you can decide if you want to drain straight down or add a 90 elbow and a 6-1/2" nipple then a valve to get back to the front of the keg. - This last one is what I'm doing because I have all the parts already.

You'll need to either raise the keg up on some 2x4s or cut a hole/slot in your stand to accommodate the bottom drain.

I should add, the main reasons I'm doing this is because I worry about losing the siphon during a slow runoff or wort drain and leaving behind a gallon or more of product. Also, I get annoyed having to fill the keg 1-2 gallons to cover the siphon before anything starts running.

Thankyou for the links I will take a look.

I like the idea about having the ball valves at the bottom. Unfortunately I was given a keg with a 1/2" nipple already mounted to the side. Perhaps I will use this as the HLT as I am not worried about getting all of the goodness out of it.

I have redrawn what I am thinking of doing now with the Ball valves:
  • Ball Valves in the bottom of the Kettle and Mash Tun to get more goodness
  • I have left the Ball Valve out the side of the HLT due to a keg having this already placed on it
  • 2 Ball Valves in the fermenter, one for the beer and one to easily harvest yeast.

Still need to think about how to keep the mash temperature consistent and an easy way to allow me to increase the temperature. A couple of options that I am thinking are:
  • Having a copper spiral in the HLT which the Mash liquid is circled through to heat it back up and then pushed back through the sparge arm.
  • Some form of heating devices in the Mash Tun (possibly another element).

Any input there would be greatly appreciated.

Hoping to cut the top out of the second keg this weekend. I will have to take some pictures of the keg that was given to me and the cut when I am finished.

Thanks for your help so far.

View attachment Brewery Design Mode - 2.pdf

Whirlpooling and a center bottom drain arent really compatible on the boil kettle. What kind of wort chiller are you planning on using? The only Keggle I wish had a bottom drain on my system is the Mash Tun.

Good plan on the HERMS (Coil in the HLT) - RIMS is another option, but I've never seen an element directly in the MLT.

Whirlpooling and a center bottom drain arent really compatible on the boil kettle. What kind of wort chiller are you planning on using?

Great point. I never thought about whirlpooling. Currently I am brewing on the stove and I just shove everything into the fermenter. Because of this would using a false bottom be a little over kill. I guess the idea is that the whirlpool brings the trub to the middle and the valve spits it out of the side. Just since now I should think about whirlpooling perhaps I should look at integrating an automatic whirlpool feature.

I was thinking of just building quite a large immersion chiller and using that to cool it down. Seems like an easy solution that works. If a plate chiller will work a lot better I will aim to go down that track.

Thanks for your input. Keep it coming

I have a false bottom that I put in the kettle, not much gets under it during the boil since most of the agitation occurs at or above the heat element. Also, if your are using extract you can mix that in first then just the false bottom in and off you go. With the false bottom and center drain I can whirlpool with no troubles. (One of those bazooka things would also work for this.) For the MLT I have a connection that hold the false bottom down more securely so grain doesn't slip under when stirring.

Of course this is best with a keggle since it slopes to the middle but it work still work with regular kettle, I'd just move the bottom drain over near the edge so you can tip the kettle up at the end of the runoff to get all the goodness.

This is what I have recieved from a mate that was looking to build something similar to what I am. I figured I could use this as the HLT and use the 1/2 inch nipple that is already welded to it as the outlet for the recirculation.

Spending the day drilling into the other kegs he gave me and didnt do anything with. I have one I will use as a fermenting vessel (dimensions are better suited for my ferment fridge) and one which I will make into the mash tun.

Thanks for the input so far.

1397879769681.jpg

1397879791905.jpg

Back