Stainless Steel 304 55 gallon drum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatrockbrewing

Reaction score
Anyone use SS 304 55 gallon drums for boil kettles?
A friend of mine has a drum with 1.2mm top/bottom and .9mm sidewall thickness. Too thin for a 35-40 gallon boil?

What was the original use for the drum? Don't think I'd try to make a tip MT out of it, but should do fine for a boil kettle. What a find!

What was the original use for the drum? Don't think I'd try to make a tip MT out of it, but should do fine for a boil kettle. What a find!

It held tomato paste in a food grade plastic bag. Doesn't smell like anything inside. Just wondering if the bottom would be too thin for boiling lighter beers like a kolsch without scorching.

You could always go electric by adding some heater elements and a controller. No worries about scorching then.

We used to put a paper cup filled with water in a fire and bring to a boil. The cup would burn down to where the water level was but the bottom was fine. I wouldn't put an empty barrel over the heat source but filled with wort it should be fine.

Back