Stainless QDs for gas line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
Can stainless QDs (quick disconnects) be used on the gas side? Yes, I know that most QDs do not have valves so it would be an open line when disconnected. But when they are connected, is it rated to hold gas or just liquid?

Stainless ball lock disconnects for beer and gas -- with poppet valves -- are available from various vendors. The liquid and gas versions are slightly different from one another.

For example, you might consider these at brewhardware.com

Of course, you may not be looking for ball lock disconnects.

I know that most QDs do not have valves
Check valves, you mean?
No, most of today's common Corny keg QDs don't have a built-in check valve. But they are/were available, at least for pin lock kegs, not sure for ball-lock ones or if any (pin- or ball-lock) are available in stainless.

Now, if you use a gas distribution manifold, many of the little shut-off valves do have a spring-and-ball check valve built into them. But I've never tested them on how well they work.

At least for ball lock fittings there are stainless steel quick disconnects for both beer and gas lines, and like their plastic counterparts, are equipped with poppets that close the connectors when they are not plugged on a post. So, not an open line when disconnected, although most would prefer to incorporate an upstream shut-off valve (ala a manifold) rather than trust the QD poppet to not leak gas...

Cheers!

My bad. I meant these type QDs. Can these be used inline in a CO2 gas line...
QDF.jpg
QDM.jpg

I have seen that type of connector with the self-closing feature as well as without the self-closing feature, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone using them for gas connections...

Cheers!

For the record, I am not concerned about when they are disconnected. Just want to know if they will work for gas (ie - no leak) when they are connected.

The similar quick connects for compressed air certainly would and have the benefit of an automatic shutoff on the female connector. While most won't leak out of the package, good ones last a lot longer under daily use and probably a lifetime for this use.

I'm not aware of any QDs typically used in brewing that leak at some acceptable threshold level. Most can handle at least 50 psi.

For Co2, I tend to stick to ball lock QDs since they are used everywhere.

If you don't need it to valve shut, this one:
1675819770788.png

Or if you need it to shut:
1675819823804.png

Back