Stainless - Black "stuff" when cleaning??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
How come every time I clean my SS keggle and mash tun I get black stuff that seems to come off what appears to be a perfectly clean surface?

I just washed my gear in prep for another brew tomorrow and just like when I cleaned the gear when I first got it (this is only its second use), when I hit it lightly with the scrub pad, I get a lot of black stuff that seems to come off the SS walls. I hit it again with a wash cloth and some soap, and get the same thing (though much less of it than with the scrubby).

Last time, as with this time, I just rinsed until the water ran clear and called it good.

Is this just an oxidative (right word?) layer that builds up... similar to what you get with aluminum pots?

I hope so... otherwise I have a major problem with all 3 of my main SS brewing components (all from separate sources mind you).

Thanks for the help gents!

:mug:

What you are describing as black material on the scrubby and wash rag is most likely nickel oxide from the stainless which is normal for new SS products. It would be a good idea to hit the insides with light coating of bar keepers friend and let it set over night to help finish the passivisation process and stop the black residue. After that has set overnight, rinse it off and use a rag instead of scrubber pad to clean after this, or apply bar keepers friend and rinse off inside if you need the scrubber to get it cleaned up.

Thanks a ton for the info. I'll do that, but at this point, I've already brewed in them once... do I need to toss that batch?

Also, is bar keepers friend widely available, or am I looking at an online order?

Thanks again for the info!!

Keep the beer

You can find Barkeeper's Friend at Lowe's. It might be disguised under a different name though. Someone will be by to correct this.

No need to panic, the oxide is usually tightly bound to the pot surface and does not wash off very easily nor is it soluble at this point. The residue if any at all will settle in the fermenter and get tossed out with the yeast and trub residue. You should be able to find the barkeepers friend product in the grocery store next to the scrubbing powder mixtures and dish soaps.

so i picked up the barkeepers friend. it's kind of like comet (insomuch as it's a powder based cleaner).

that said, should i just make a paste-like mix and coat everything and then let it sit overnight?

That usually works well, after that if you have to scrub out the pot with an abrasive it would be a good idea to wet a cloth and sprinkle the BKF powder on and wipe down the inside of the pot.

Back