Stabiliser v's campden tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frances

Reaction score
Hi I've just been to buy some new additives to make some pear wine, unfortunately the shop was all out of campden tablets but had a stabiliser so picked some up, I've read in most recipes to add a campden tablet before fermenting, is this a must? Or will the stabiliser work in the same way as it says it stops fermentation once complete and stabilises wine
Ingredients are sodium metabisulphite, potassium sorbate

Sodium (or potassium) metabisulfite combined with potassium sorbate will stabilize a fermentation in its dying out stages. It is only to be used after the SG has reached its final point and remains there.

Campden (which is half of the stabilizer, either sodium or potassium metabisulfite) is an anti-oxident and can stun wild yeasts until the yeast you add can take over. It is also used as a sanitizer when mixed to a much stronger level than what you would put into your must. It is highly recommended, but not necessary. I wouldn't make wine without it, but some do.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, I've had a look in a couple of local places but all out of stock too, will have to order some online I guess, though seems delivery costs are actually more than the product itself!
I'm assuming that there is no alternative product or way to remove the need to use them, such as boiling the pears beforehand like ive seen on some recipes?

If they have it, you can use potassium metabisulfate, which is the ingredient in campden tabs. Maybe they just don't have the tablets. The usual dosage is 1/4 tsp per 5-gallon batch. You could also use sodium metabisulfate if they have that.
I don't think you want to boil them because of the pectin.

Just skip adding the campton. I've skipped it often. If you are worried about wild yeast make a starter wirh your yeast and add that to your must. The jump start will overpower any wild yeasties. You can always add the campton as soon as you reach finnel gravidy.

I would never skip the campden/sulfites in a raw fruit wine, as the fruit will have tons of wild yeast and bacteria on it. I'd freeze the fruit until I could get the potassium metabisulfite, rather than risk ruining a full batch of wine.

Back