SSVR Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasperAK

Reaction score
I have a boil controller and would like to add a thermostat, that interrupts the circuit when strike temp is reached. The boil controller is Auber’s 40A SSVR wired in the usual way heating a 240v 5500watt element. can I simply add a ITC1000 to open the control loop / rheostat circuit, Would this work? I guess I’m trying to avoid being redundant by adding a 40a relay to the box when the SSVR in itself would be enough. But, I don’t know how the SSVR is going to react when the control circuit opens / goes to infinite resistance. Of note, I also have future ambitions to control a rims tube, and wonder if such a control might work for that too. Thanks in advance!

https://www.gmelectronica.com.ar/datasheets/ITC-1000F.pdf
https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/SSVR.pdf

E89F8315-BF74-410A-A081-55714DE05CDE.png

Normally, you'd have a controller with a temperature sensor input that would do all of this for you. Auber makes many of them. They are usually referred to as PIDs, which is unfortunate because it's a nondescript term (actually, it's an acronym for the control variables that keep you from over-shooting and under-shooting your set temperature, but that's not germane here).

I suggest you have a look at their PID Controller offerings with a temperature sensor input. Frankly, I really HATE these little controls, I think they are non-intuitive, but they are the only game in town. That is what you'd need for your RIMs controller, also. Regarding an open-ckt on your boil controller, it doesn't care a bit.

Post back here if you have trouble figuring out exactly what you need.

RIMS control benefits from super fast pulsing of the element, certainly faster than a mechanical relay driven ITC type controller would offer. What you're suggesting will work for heating strike water. As mentioned above, something like the Auber DSPR120 coupled with a plain SSR would be the full solution that can control a RIMS, a boil kettle and a boil kettle used to heat strike water. It's very slick.

It looks like the ITC 1000 has dry relay contacts. You could put the contracts in series with the rheostat leads. This method for the SSVR to be activated, the rheostat would need to be in a power on setting AND the Inkbird relay would be closed.

In other words, instead of turning power on and off, you are turn the control signal on and off.

True. I kind of assumed this would be a watch dog threshold application The TC 1000 is intended for a refrigerator type of application. I have the Inkbird TC308 on my chest freezer. It has a built in delay to eliminate any relay on/off chatter.

The Inkbird TC1000 should not use his Inkbird on a RIMS system. AND NOT not to maintain mash temps.

The best application might be to use the TC 1000 as a digital thermometer and turn on some lamps and/or buzzers and then the brewer manually rides the knob on his SSVR.

Hence the value and convienience of a full PID is revealed.

New controller build will be needed for strike water / mash with future rims capability. I love the SSVR as a boil controller, but it seems that’s pretty much the limit of its functionality. That’s the info I’ve been looking for, thank you Bobby and Rufus! Is there going to ever be an end to the brewery gadgets I need!!?

Back