Ssr vs contact breaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmdevries

Reaction score
Maybe it's been covered but a quick search didn't answer my question.

Looking at builds and recommended setup it seems the ssr and heat sink is fairly standard. Why?

I have several years experience designing and building control panels for high voltage pressure washers however my true knowledge on this topic is limited to application and practice, not theory.

In my mind, possibly because it's all I've used, why not use contact breakers for the power switching? Why the ssr? Is there a particular benefit or drawback to either? I have accumulated the parts to build the majority of my planned panel but I have contact breakers I intended to use. Any reason I should not?

Or am I overlooking something and the ssr is used in conjunction?

The main benefit is longevity. If you're using a PID, it will be switching the element on and off countless times. You need the solid-state relay for that.

SSR's are silent. You would get tired of listening to a contactor during your boil. I use a contactor for my HLT. It doesn't switch much but is still a bit noisy.

A good use for the contactors is for a main power switch. SSR's are better for controlling elements.

Gotcha. That makes sense since the controller will be constantly on/off to the element. Never ran into that issue before, even with electric 480v heating it was never a tight temp control but a 15-30deg range.

Thanks guys.

Back