SSR testing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windsors

Reaction score
Working on my control box for an all electric HERMS system and have been testing stuff before I give it the full power.

My question involves how to test the SSR's. I have 3 of them, one 10 amp SSR for the pump and 2 - 50 Amp Crydom SSR's for the BK and HLT 5500W elements. I was trying to test the 50 Amp SSR's with a 120 v hot leg, a ground and a voltmeter. The problem was that it read 120 Volts when it was not receiving the low voltage signal and should have been open (off).

I am wondering if these SSR's have leakage and because of that, I need a load to draw some real AMPS, to actually see switching of the SSR.

Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance and let me say, that I have learned a lot from this forum on putting together my all grain setup.

Bill

It needs a load. otherwise it will bleed voltage across the triac. Doesn't need to be a big load either.

Thanks for the replies. I feel better now and should be ready for my Saturday brew.

Latest posts

Back