Ss Infussion mash tun with Temp Control unit and kettle souring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9Dave

Reaction score
The new-ish Ss Infussion mash tun has a Temp Control add on for heating. They advertise that you can do sour kettling with it. I've done sour kettling in the past with great results and have tried it twice with my 10g Infussion. In both cases the wort formed a disgusting film on top (not the same as a pellicle that I've seen on my regular sours) and the wort took on a horrible smell. The pH also saw minimal drop. And after a couple of days the film on top started to go pink.

Has anyone successfully kettle soured in the Infussion?

I'm concerned that perhaps the heating unit on the bottom gets so hot that, while it is lousy at raising temps (see my detailed experience on strike water and mashing here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=566441&page=9), it gets too hot in that spot and kills the lactobacillus culture. I've touched the bottom when it's dry and the heater is on and it can burn your hand.

Latest posts

Back