SS brewtech QC is awful now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
I ordered a chronicle BME this week. It arrived a few days later I was stoked.

Well I open the box first thing I noticed is the chilling coil nut fell off in shipping. It was semi tight on the bottom allowing it to bend the fermenter and dent and deep scratch the coil. As well as all over in the fermenter.

Whoever is grinding the welds the the legs right now must have never used a grinder before or has little experience deep cuts into the legs.

The SS brewtech etching looks subpar to say the least. The marking in the fermenter looks very off and unreliable at best.

Attachments

• 20210819_174458.jpg
    20210819_174458.jpg
    843.6 KB · Views: 311
  • 20210819_174442.jpg
    20210819_174442.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 308
  • 20210819_174439.jpg
    20210819_174439.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 301
  • 20210819_172942.jpg
    20210819_172942.jpg
    947.4 KB · Views: 302
  • 20210819_174055.jpg
    20210819_174055.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 301
  • 20210819_174344.jpg
    20210819_174344.jpg
    894.8 KB · Views: 299
  • 20210819_174101.jpg
    20210819_174101.jpg
    958.9 KB · Views: 286
  • 20210819_174159.jpg
    20210819_174159.jpg
    957.2 KB · Views: 278
Few more pictures

Attachments

• 20210819_173203.jpg
    20210819_173203.jpg
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 20210819_174442.jpg
    20210819_174442.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 164
Did you order it directly from SS Brewtech? I ordered one about a month ago and the chilling coil was shipped separately in a bag, not already installed. That plus the other wear and tear makes me wonder if you got a used unit somehow.

Did you order it directly from SS Brewtech? I ordered one about a month ago and the chilling coil was shipped separately in a bag, not already installed. That plus the other wear and tear makes me wonder if you got a used unit somehow.

Yeah I did. I had the same thought about it being used. My wife said the same without my input.

Trying not to get too emotional over a object. But I have hand surgery tomorrow and wanted to brew today disappointed is not the right words haha

Man, what a bummer. What a bad, disappointing experience. Especially since you PAID for this item. It wasn't free.

Probably, due to many events, SS gets want they can from the Chinese prison factories. Unfortunately, in this case, bad workmanship.

Contact SS Brewtech and complain about the product received.

Man, what a bummer. What a bad, disappointing experience. Especially since you PAID for this item. It wasn't free.

Probably, due to many events, SS gets want they can from the Chinese prison factories. Unfortunately, in this case, bad workmanship.

I refuse to accept this. I was between this and a spike unit. I went with what I knew and experienced already. Depending the outcome and conversation I have with SS I will most likely end up giving spike a try.

Makes snese. Larger fermenters are a odd market. Prices and shape even looks vary so much

I ordered accessories from Brewtech and they shipped me someone else's order. I was not able to contact them by phone so we exchanged e-mails. I offered to ship the parts directly to the original customer so long as I received my original order. They first disagreed that I did not get my order and then finally reshipped my original order to me. Not sure what os going on over there.

High prices do not mesh with poor quality. We make purchasing decisions based on Quality, Service, and Price - not necessarily in that order. But certainly if you are at the higher price point, you expect very good to excellent service and quality.

Last edited:
That sucks. I just reviewed my Chronical BME 14 gallon and do not have any of these problems.

All the TIG welds in the Spike gear I have are beyond beautiful. That's both the Spike+ kettles and CF10 fermenters. IME, anyone who is a TIG welder, as in that's what they do for a living, won't need to grind the welds to make them high quality. MIG, yes. TIG, hell no. I actually have a friend with his own welding business and the welds from Spike are better (his are really good).

If the unit from SS Brew Tech is from China, just another reason I'm glad I went with Spike. I, at least, know that Spike does all their welding (and such) in the US.
"Our goal is to design, manufacture, weld and assemble as much as we can here at our facility in Milwaukee, Wisconsin."
Add to that how getting issues resolved with Spike is beyond easy (a couple of emails, done) and I'll keep buying their items as long as they are in the size range I want/need.

I've heard some shady practices about Brewtech from Alpha Brewing here in Lincoln, NE. Things happen, that's ok, just as long as they fix it and are genuinely interested in the problem. However I feel Brewtech customer support makes it difficult to get in contact with people.

I've heard some shady practices about Brewtech from Alpha Brewing here in Lincoln, NE. Things happen, that's ok, just as long as they fix it and are genuinely interested in the problem. However I feel Brewtech customer support makes it difficult to get in contact with people.
They were less than helpful when I had questions about their inline oxygenation kit. Took far too many emails/message to get any kind of answer. Even at that, it was suboptimal. Not what I experience from other companies, like Spike, Electric Brewing Supply or Brewers Hardware.

I have two Brew Buckets. Generally satisfied, only gripe is that some of the plastic inserts on the bottom of the legs would fall out. I had to wrap them with electrical tape to hold them in place. Not a major deal, though it's an indicator of sloppy workmanship.

Anyone looking at a Brew Bucket should also consider the Delta FermTank. $10 more than the BB, but a gallon larger, domed lid to allow pressure transfers, thermowell, welded drain valve, blowoff port in lid, adjustable height legs.

The Chapman looks good for someone on a budget, though it doesn't have a conical bottom. You can get a 14 gal fermenter for less than the 7 gallon BB.

But any upgrade for me will likely go to Spike. I just haven't heard any bad reviews of their stuff.

I refuse to accept this. I was between this and a spike unit. I went with what I knew and experienced already. Depending the outcome and conversation I have with SS I will most likely end up giving spike a try.

We'd love for you to give us a try! 100% guarantee you'll be fully satisfied and blown away with our quality especially in comparison to what you normally brew with!

Most of my home brewery is SS Brewtech gear. I have never had a problem with their products and have always found their support to be top notch. In my experience, they are prompt in responding to questions and always fair when dealing with any issues.

I am frankly surprised you posted this BEFORE you gave SS Brewtech an opportunity to respond to the issues. If they did not step up and fix the problem after you complained, I could understand posting this, but not before they had an opportunity to address it.

Last edited:
Most of my home brewery is SS Brewtech gear. I have never had a problem with their products and have always found their support to be top notch. In my experience, they are prompt in responding to questions and always fair when dealing with any issues.

I am frankly surprises you posted this BEFORE you gave SS Brewtech an opportunity to respond to the issues. If they did not step up and fix the problem after you complained, I could understand posting this, but not before they had an opportunity to address it.

I couldn’t disagree more. The fact this was even shipped out is a problem that the community should be aware of.

I couldn’t disagree more. The fact this was even shipped out is a problem that the community should be aware of.

This.

If they address the problem, that regains SOME of the good will for the vendor. Customer service is nice when it happens, but it's remedial, and it takes time and effort by the customer to rectify an issue that should not have occurred in the first place.

If the vendor fixes the problem to the customer's satisfaction, that should be noted--credit where credit's due. But the fix is still after the fact. We shouldn't have to be chasing after issues that should have been spotted in a normal QC process. It shouldn't be rocket surgery.

Last edited:
All of my equipment is from spike with the exception of my glycol chiller which is fro SS brewtech. I love my spike stuff and there customer service is fantastic. I had a small issue with my chiller from SS brewtech and they addressed it promptly. The controller wasn't working right, they shipped me new one rather quickly and problem solved. I have now issue with either company, this fermenter looks rough and I would certainly be furious if one of mine showed up like that. I would expect them to fix the mistake and possible send you some swag to make up for the frustration. If not... well spike is great!

Cheers

I ordered accessories from Brewtech and they shipped me someone else's order. I was not able to contact them by phone so we exchanged e-mails. I offered to ship the parts directly to the original customer so long as I received my original order. They first disagreed that I did not get my order and then finally reshipped my original order to me. Not sure what os going on over there.

Hah! What a odd situation. Good on you trying to help. I always hope someone would do the same for me in that situation.

I do agree that things like this should not happen in the first place. I work in a retail setting automotive aftermarket and we are basically the last line of defense for QC and the front line for customer service. Anything that's even questionable goes back.

I am frankly surprised you posted this BEFORE you gave SS Brewtech an opportunity to respond to the issues. If they did not step up and fix the problem after you complained, I could understand posting this, but not before they had an opportunity to address it.

Its a honest review. As a update to the issue o received a reply this morning. I was told the missing items are sent in another box. The quality issues and pictures were completely ignored.

We'd love for you to give us a try! 100% guarantee you'll be fully satisfied and blown away with our quality especially in comparison to what you normally brew with!

Out of curiosity. Why did spike go for the unitank design and not offer a lower pressure rated vessle. I wanted to save money and add more accessories.

I should have brought the CF10 like I wanted to begin with.

I have several of the SS Brewbuckets as they work for me in my setup. I brew 10 gallons and split into 2 of the SS Brewbuckets.

Things I don't like about the Brewbuckets: IMO, the valve is useless. Too small. The inside volume markings are off.

Things I like about the Brewbuckets: They are stainless. They are stackable. Handles on the side for lifting.

Also, give them a very good cleaning with TSP and rinse before first using (all the stainless parts).

I have two Brew Buckets. Generally satisfied, only gripe is that some of the plastic inserts on the bottom of the legs would fall out. I had to wrap them with electrical tape to hold them in place. Not a major deal, though it's an indicator of sloppy workmanship.

Anyone looking at a Brew Bucket should also consider the Delta FermTank. $10 more than the BB, but a gallon larger, domed lid to allow pressure transfers, thermowell, welded drain valve, blowoff port in lid, adjustable height legs.

The Chapman looks good for someone on a budget, though it doesn't have a conical bottom. You can get a 14 gal fermenter for less than the 7 gallon BB.

But any upgrade for me will likely go to Spike. I just haven't heard any bad reviews of their stuff.

I switched to these: BCP 12PCS Black Color Square Rubber Furniture Table Chair Leg Foot Cover Cap Protectors (1 x 1 inch) - - Amazon.com

These aren't the exact ones I bought. Mine were 24mm x 24mm but very tight. These should work.

The sloppy work on the outside is just that, no effect on function. If that was it it would be far easier to clean it up and move on . The dents and dings could be repaired but the scrapes inside are unacceptable.

Stories like this are the biggest reason I haven't dropped the money on upgrading one of my BME Chronicals to a Unitank. I'll probably eventually buy one used when I find one locally.

Agree. I've settled on them as my major supplier of bling, and there have been maybe 10% of the items I feel have been below the quality I'd hoped for, mostly fit and finish on one kettle (Chronical). It's functional, mostly cosmetic, but still annoying based on the price you pay. I have little doubt that the core issue is with the supply chain in Asia. The folks SS have always been sympathetic and responsive to my concerns and worked to make things right, but still it's their reputation that gets sullied when quality goes south. Hopefully when the pandemic is history and international trade gets back on track, all suppliers of foreign goods (and consumers) will benefit.

I hate to sound nationalistic, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably order from a U.S. domestic fabricator like @Bobby_M, who in my estimation does excellent work with a reputation to match.

Nothing wrong with some American pride. Keeping money local now is important. Bobby is awesome the quality of products and ingenuity top notch.

I have several of the SS Brewbuckets as they work for me in my setup. I brew 10 gallons and split into 2 of the SS Brewbuckets.

Things I don't like about the Brewbuckets: IMO, the valve is useless. Too small. The inside volume markings are off.

Things I like about the Brewbuckets: They are stainless. They are stackable. Handles on the side for lifting.

Also, give them a very good cleaning with TSP and rinse before first using (all the stainless parts).

Not sure if my first set of pictures show this but according to the markings it's a 13.5 gallon fermenter.

Attachments

• 20210819_183429.jpg
    20210819_183429.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 23
My experiences with the SS Brewbucket

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/brewtech-brew-bucket-volume-accuracy.673567/
Mine isn't accurate, or at least the 5 Gallon line isn't, it's about 5.2 gallons. I just adjusted my recipes to 5.25 gallon batches to compensate.

Then probably too the 20L is off. Wonder if by the same amount (4%)? This would explain an ongoing volume mystery for me.

I did check the 20 L line on mine when I checked the 5 Gallon, it was slightly more than 5.5 gallons.

Where 20L is approximately 5.28. 4.17% higher than expected. Seems the discrepancy gets worse as the volume increases.

Most interesting. Thanks for posting.

Got 20L = 5.5 gallons

True 20L = 5.28 gallons

(5.5 - 5.28) / 5.28 = 4.17% higher

(5.28 - 5.5) / 5.5 = 4% lower

I measure 25L = 6.6 gallons

6.6 - 4% = 6.34 gallons

+1 for US domestic fabricator including @Bobby_M

Not everything from China is necessarily bad, but you don't have many options for monitoring the QC of an entity 10,000 miles away. It's a pig in a poke.

If you keep the mfg. close to the vest (i.e., in your community), you have better control over the build quality. Of course, the incoming raw materials are still a variable, but if your supplier contracts are well-drafted you give yourself some room for rejecting non-conforming materials. And NEVER single-source any component--you always want multiple suppliers on your approved vendor list for each component. Supplier A starts cutting quality? You have Supplier B and C to turn to. If you're doing JIT supply chain management, you can quickly pivot.

People like @Bobby_M and @SpikeBrewing are better positioned to watch the quality from front to back. I've purchased a few things from Bobby, and was entirely satisfied with the quality of what arrived on my doorstep. Haven't dealt with Spike yet, but I might be ready to step up in gear down the road.

Not everything from China is necessarily bad, but you don't have many options for monitoring the QC of an entity 10,000 miles away. It's a pig in a poke.

If you keep the mfg. close to the vest (i.e., in your community), you have better control over the build quality. Of course, the incoming raw materials are still a variable, but if your supplier contracts are well-drafted you give yourself some room for rejecting non-conforming materials. And NEVER single-source any component--you always want multiple suppliers on your approved vendor list for each component. Supplier A starts cutting quality? You have Supplier B and C to turn to. If you're doing JIT supply chain management, you can quickly pivot.

People like @Bobby_M and @SpikeBrewing are better positioned to watch the quality from front to back. I've purchased a few things from Bobby, and was entirely satisfied with the quality of what arrived on my doorstep. Haven't dealt with Spike yet, but I might be ready to step up in gear down the road.

Except this isn't like buying something from eBay or Alibaba....this is a near-premium priced product purchased from a US vendor regardless of where it is made. They should unpack and inspect every one of them. Just because the factory is '10,000 miles away' doesn't mean the product isn't ever in their custody to check quality and accuracy. These are not drop-shipped from China direct to your door. Where it is made is not an excuse in this case.

Update on this.

Ss brewtech replied to my customer support request. This was sent a promotions box and missed by me.

I wasn't asked for more details or asked how I would like to proceed. A replacement was sent and I was asked to send the damaged one back.

Now I will have 2 fermenters to send back. Thought about just sticking with what I ordered but I don't trust the quality.

Latest posts

Back