SS Brewtech Mill Prototype

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, details! It has an integrated high torque motor which drives the rollers via a cogged belt. One roller turns at 250 rpm and the other one is actually driven slower. This creates a shearing force to aid in gently crushing grain. The rollers will be made from stainless with some fluting to the surface instead of being knurled. The diameter for the rollers is massive compared to competitors. This creates a more steep approach angle to encourage grain to go through. SS states this angle is why knurling isn’t required. There will be a hopper attachment as well as arms that extend out to place above a kettle while milling. There are just 2 rollers and the gap is adjusted by the metal bar on the side. Hopefully this answers some of the vaguaries in my first post, kh54s10.

I'm surprised that anyone would pursue "shearing force" in a grain mill. The classic mill design intentionally avoids shearing in favor of approximating a true "crush" to preserve husk integrity. "Shearing" is what a Corona does, and I'm pretty sure nobody thinks that's ideal.

The larger rollers decreases the approach angle, fwiw, which is supposed to improve grain feed...

Cheers!

Any sort of shearing would be foolish. That would invite more tearing and destruction of husks. That is hardly what I would want.

I saw that unit at the conference, but didn’t investigate further. Sounds like something I’ll pass on.

By the way, I spoke with the Monster Mill manufacturer and they are considering producing a mill intended for 10 bbl or smaller systems. Since most competent roller mills for breweries cost over $10k, their entry could be welcome.

I'm betting it'll be another Cadillac-priced accessory that may or may not work incrementally better than a rig costing less than half the price. I'm sure it'll be a good fit for some home brewers but I have zero interest unless it's priced under $150. I can get a cereal killer and a drill for that which is more than enough for the typical home brewer.

I'm betting it'll be another Cadillac-priced accessory that may or may not work incrementally better than a rig costing less than half the price.

Last time I looked, milling wasn't an accessory that was optional in a production brewery. I greatly appreciate my MM-2.2, but I'm pretty sure it would be toast after a few years of real brewery use. Lesser mills would be shot even quicker. But the most important thing is that professional mills have very low nip angles due to their 4" or larger rollers.

Your comment is odd considering that Monster is trying to come in well under the $10K amount that many pro mills cost.

Last time I looked, milling wasn't an accessory that was optional in a production brewery. I greatly appreciate my MM-2.2, but I'm pretty sure it would be toast after a few years of real brewery use. Lesser mills would be shot even quicker. But the most important thing is that professional mills have very low nip angles due to their 4" or larger rollers.

Your comment is odd considering that Monster is trying to come in well under the $10K amount that many pro mills cost.
What kills me about a lot of these mills is the low cost bronze bushings used instead of the real bearings that the chinese clones like the kegco and keging and cereal killer use which ironically make them a better quality mill at half the cost of the more popular MM and barley crushers.. unless you spend upwards of 4 or 5 times as much for real bearings on the pro models with the option.

We have a new mm3 (non pro) and a kegco 3 roller for our small 3bbl brewpub and it will indeed be interesting to see which one holds up better... my 2 roller cereal killer has been bullet proof for 4 years with many sacks of grain pushed through it and pulley/motor driven.. No one has really done any testing to see which mill has harder rollers or if one is in fact better than the other that Ive seen. I know the barley crusher has the softest rollers that seem to wear out the quickest and cause rollers to stop (if the bushings arent also a contributing factor)

I do know of a few 2-3bbl breweries out there using homebrewing mills with great success.. even if they are replaced every year it takes like 10 years for the bigger mills to pay off at that size and rate.

Back