SS Brewtech Keg Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone identified a replacement small pump for this unit yet? I also have the 24v power supply and a 12v pump that came with it. The pump keeps falling out (I have secured it with zip ties) but im curious if anyone has found a better option. That poor pump is screaming at me and im concerned it will fail at an inopportune time. Would love to replace it and use the current one as a backup (without going the route of a full Mark II pump!

Interesting... Didnt know they added that (I bought the cleaner when it was new and that wasnt an option). Thanks! For that amount of money though im curious if anyone went aftermarket and found a suitable replacement that either has better performance or does the same job cheaper?

Certainly a good option though!

Old thread revival. I just picked this up after last night cleaning 5 kegs by hand. I have the Mark II but it broke many years ago. I'm brewing larger batches now and will have more kegs to clean for friends so I thought the price was worth it. My friends usually pay for the ingredients for the beers and we hang out for brew days drinking and grilling so having multiple kegs to wash at a time will be much easier now.

I don't regret buying this but I wish it was better. I burn the pumps out frequently by either having my cleaning solutions too hot (not hot enough by my standards) or by continual use while cleaning multiple kegs. The rubber on the posts locking the keg in ripped almost immediately as well.

I would say it works great for sanitizing but is a huge miss in cleaning

I don't regret buying this but I wish it was better. I burn the pumps out frequently by either having my cleaning solutions too hot (not hot enough by my standards) or by continual use while cleaning multiple kegs. The rubber on the posts locking the keg in ripped almost immediately as well.

I would say it works great for sanitizing but is a huge miss in cleaning

How hot do you get your cleaning solution? Doesn't PBW work in not scalding hot water? At least it does for me in my kettles. I usually never go above 140F sometimes even not that hot. I know when I clean my kegs I do tap water hot and it works.

Edit: PBW says effective range is 100-160F so hopefully that won't be a problem with the pump around 130F ish.

How hot do you get your cleaning solution? Doesn't PBW work in not scalding hot water? At least it does for me in my kettles. I usually never go above 140F sometimes even not that hot. I know when I clean my kegs I do tap water hot and it works.

Edit: PBW says effective range is 100-160F so hopefully that won't be a problem with the pump around 130F ish.

Hotter the better is what I was always told, seen some professionals use it above 200f, others even boil it. I think 5 star say 130-180f for circulating or half that range for soaking. 180 isn't that ridiculous, nothing but a cup of coffee. If I go to 160 and try to clean 5 kegs, the pump will burn out.

Hotter the better is what I was always told, seen some professionals use it above 200f, others even boil it. I think 5 star say 130-180f for circulating or half that range for soaking. 180 isn't that ridiculous, nothing but a cup of coffee. If I go to 160 and try to clean 5 kegs, the pump will burn out.

Dang well I'm going to try around 130-140F at first and see if that works. I've heard hotter is better as well unless your using agitation and I would think the spray ball would be pretty good agitation. Hoping I have some better luck.

Dang well I'm going to try around 130-140F at first and see if that works. I've heard hotter is better as well unless your using agitation and I would think the spray ball would be pretty good agitation. Hoping I have some better luck.

Good luck! let me know how you make out.
I put the cleaner in my mashtun and circulate the PBW through my HERMS coil, I find this much easier than trying to jam it all into the bucket.

Good luck! let me know how you make out.
I put the cleaner in my mashtun and circulate the PBW through my HERMS coil, I find this much easier than trying to jam it all into the bucket.
That's a good idea!

Latest posts

Back