SS Brewtech Keg Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My estimates for building something like this:

CIP ball- $30 ish
Steel bar- $10
Submersible pump- $50
Fittings and hose- $15
Oval plate material- $10
rubber coating (plastidip?)- $5-$20
tools to machine/torch/possibly weld- already have

So that's about $125 in materials to make it happen, not including time. As long as the pump isn't a turd, It seems like a decent price.

I like the looks of the SSBrewTech. Wish I would have pre-ordered one. The other one doesn't look as easy to use to me. Setting up three buckets and moving the keg from bucket to bucket seems like an easy keg cleaning day. I'm keeping an eye out for when I can order one.

Pre-ordered one, I like that it does not matter if the keg has 1, 2, or no handles to use it. I have several kegs that are single-handle and the Brulosophy version of the keg washer does not work well with them.

I do have to admit, the $200 price point seems a little steep, however different brew shop sell cheap plastic keg washers for $100. I've never owned one, but as far as I can see they don't handle single-handle kegs.

In addition it looks like, the only thing that can break on it is the pump, which can easily be replaced. If it is quality and makes kegging even easier then I see it as a worth it. I can report back when I get and test it.

I see they posted a video of it as well: Keg WaSsher Assembly

Last edited:
I have 5 or 6 2 handle kegs and 3 one handle and they all fit fine on the mark ii. My only issue with the mark ii is I wish there were more fitting options. For example o would like to use 100% of the power to clean the posts, then 100% to clean the keg itself instead of splitting the power at all times. I am sure I could figure out a workaround, but wish it was out of the box, otherwise it meets all my needs and does a great job on my kegs and fermenters

I have 5 or 6 2 handle kegs and 3 one handle and they all fit fine on the mark ii.

Good to know, from the pics I had see of them it looks like they balance the kegs on the handle.

My only issue with the mark ii is I wish there were more fitting options. For example o would like to use 100% of the power to clean the posts, then 100% to clean the keg itself instead of splitting the power at all times. I am sure I could figure out a workaround, but wish it was out of the box, otherwise it meets all my needs and does a great job on my kegs and fermenters

I don't know the exact setup but you could probably put in some nylon ball valves in the lines. I've seen them at Home Depot, for cheap they look similar to these: https://goo.gl/images/iqRPnS

I have 5 or 6 2 handle kegs and 3 one handle and they all fit fine on the mark ii. My only issue with the mark ii is I wish there were more fitting options. For example o would like to use 100% of the power to clean the posts, then 100% to clean the keg itself instead of splitting the power at all times. I am sure I could figure out a workaround, but wish it was out of the box, otherwise it meets all my needs and does a great job on my kegs and fermenters
I have a little ball valve that can divert all the power to the keg. You could do the same the other way with a $.25 threaded cap. However, I have never had an issue with not enough power to get everything clean at the same time.

My work around was a small pond pump I have on the shelf. I hooked the disconnects to that and run it from in the sump of the mark II works good and then I have full pressure on both sections.
But out of the box like that would be nice.

Pretty cool, but I find washing my kegs to be one of my easiest brew tasks so I'd rather put the money elsewhere.

It is a cool design. But, does the spray ball hit the bottom of the keg good enough? Looks like it focuses on the top of the keg but my kegs usually need way more attention at the bottom where the yeast settles.

Also, why dont they use MFL connections for the disconnects so that you could choose Ball Lock or Pin Lock? Sure you could add that yourself but why should you have to modify your new shiny thing? These things do seem to detract from the value of a $200 price tag...

The keg washer I built (that is apparently the same as the Brulosophy design) works great at less than half the price. I just need to find an economical pump that can stand higher temps than the Superior model I'm using...

It is a cool design. But, does the spray ball hit the bottom of the keg good enough? Looks like it focuses on the top of the keg but my kegs usually need way more attention at the bottom where the yeast settles.

Yeah, seems to hit the bottom pretty well. I just used it to clean up 2 10 gallon Corny Kegs that I ferment in. It knocked out the krausen ring and left the bottoms spotless.

I recently switched my fermentation operation around, sold off my 6 gallon better bottles and have bought 3 10 gallon Corny Kegs for the main purpose of fermenting 5.5-6 gallons in and doing pressurized fermentation. I no longer have to use an auto siphon and can just move my beer from the fermenter to the keg easily and quickly. In addition I no longer have to deal with blow-off tubes or cleaning out the blow off mess when my better bottle decides to shoot the bung out of the top. (Happened to me so often I started masking taping the bungs to the top.) And cleaning them is super easy with the keg washer. As previously stated, I have built a Brulosophy type keg washer with a sump pump, and it did not work well with either the 10 gallon Corny Kegs or my single handle kegs.

I mean seriously how am I suppose to balance either of these upside-down on top of a 5 gallon bucket lid?

15.55gtt.jpg
IMG_1021.jpg

I already tried using one of these on my bucket lid to go over the opening of the corny keg and it did not work well, the keg kept falling over:
1056-42-3.jpg

Anyway, I am pretty happy with my purchase, I can setup several buckets and just move the kegs from one to the next without having to dump my cleaning water to rinse with. In addition I am using a lot less PBW in the keg washer over filling up 6 gallon fermenters with water and PBW, plus no manual scrubbing of fermenters which is always a plus with me.

Also, why dont they use MFL connections for the disconnects so that you could choose Ball Lock or Pin Lock? Sure you could add that yourself but why should you have to modify your new shiny thing? These things do seem to detract from the value of a $200 price tag...

Yeah, I could see that being a problem if you had a combo of pin and ball lock kegs. Seems as though SS should have included MFL connections.

@mcgimpkins i grabbed one of these to clean my 10 gallon kegs like the first of your pics.

I had to cut up a 5 gallon bucket to stabilize the keg on a 5 gallon bucket. How did you run yours? A bigger bucket?

No same as you, I had two 5 gallon buckets on hand, I cut them down to about 3 gallon buckets, so they are a little shorter than the SS keg washer for using with the 10 gallon keg.

The 10 gallon kegs are 12.25" wide, My LHBS sells these: 7.8 Gallon Plastic Fermenting Bucket which according to Amazon are 13.8" in diameter. I've been meaning to take one of the kegs down to the store and see if they fit, but have not did it yet. I can report back when I find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
mcgimpkins:
The pump on your keg cleaner looks like a pond pump. Can you tell me the specs on the pump (gph and lift height) or the model number and manufacturer?
Thanks!
steve

mcgimpkins:
The pump on your keg cleaner looks like a pond pump. Can you tell me the specs on the pump (gph and lift height) or the model number and manufacturer?
Thanks!
steve

Steve, your talking about on the SS Brewtech Keg Wassher right? It is literally running this pump here: FTSs Pump.

SS Brewtech does not give much of any specs on it from what I can find. It is just hooked up to a 120V Ac to 12V DC adapter with an on/off switch. You could try shooting an e-mail to SS Brewtech and ask them the specs on their FTSs pump.

Off hand if I were to guess something similar I would try something like this: KEDSUM 770GPH Submersible Pump

The Mark's keg washer is a cheaply made piece of trash that I instantly regretted purchasing. Mine did not last more than one or two uses before something broke on it, rendering it useless.

This new one from SS Brewtech looks much more robust, and built to last. Will likely be my next equipment purchase...

Do you have a build thread or guide?

I dont have a build guide but I can create a thread with more pictures of the assembly. However its pretty much built from the following examples with a few deviations:

http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/22/brublaster-keg-carboy-washer-do-it-yourself/

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pimp-my-system/matts-keg-and-carboy-washer/

The only caveat is that the pump I used really isnt designed for the ideal temp range where PBW is most effective. I do plan on addressing this someday but so far what I built has been working great!

I have now used this keg washer on around two dozen kegs. I highly recommend it. Set up three buckets and just rotate a keg through the three. Before using, I do pre-rinse my kegs to get all of the bottom gunk out, then set in the first bucket. I also have a Mike's keg washer, but didn't like it near as much. To me, washing kegs has to be one of my least favorite things in brewing to do. So, I'm happy.

Could someone measure the diameter of the spray ball?
It looks small - if it's under 29mm/1.17"/1-11/64" carboy washing becomes viable with a bit of assembly tweakage...

Cheers!

Could someone measure the diameter of the spray ball?
It looks small - if it's under 29mm/1.17"/1-11/64" carboy washing becomes viable with a bit of assembly tweakage...

Cheers!

I don't have it in front of me at the moment so I cannot give a an exact measurement, but it is about the same diameter, maybe a little less, as a pinky finger. So, you should be easly able to fit it in a glass carboy. Also hopefully your fingers are not the same size as André the Giant's.

Awesome - thanks very much for the follow-up :mug:
That's an amazingly small spray ball for a 1/2" fpt mount, I haven't come across one that small in my looking around.

Cheers!

It’s not 1/2 npt; it’s way smaller.
Really don’t want to disassemble it to measure those threads.

428266E2-26CB-4F40-B92C-069C89CE7895.jpeg
232664DF-EFE0-4911-8971-8468CD56A051.jpeg
E184A474-7010-494D-8095-BD40E0A38F81.jpeg

Had to revive this thread after getting my waSSher today. Picked it up on sale during Black Friday (couldn’t justify $210). Now I’m heading back to Home Depot to return all the parts I bought for a diy cleaner. Super impressed with the pressure coming out of the CIP ball.
81073168-6029-4513-998A-DF1C59EBF736.jpeg

I've had two of the Keg Wassher pumps fail. I am not amused.

I just noticed the pump says 12v and the power supply it came with says 24v. Can anyone confirm theirs is the same?

I've had two of the Keg Wassher pumps fail. I am not amused.

I just noticed the pump says 12v and the power supply it came with says 24v. Can anyone confirm theirs is the same?
My power supply and pump are the same (12 & 24). My pump lasted one cleaning session before failing. The epoxy seal was broken where the power wire entered the pump. Since the pump is submersible, I assumed liquid entered there and shorted the pump motor. The pump was replaced free of charge. But I didn’t use the new pump motor and instead retrofitted a Mark II external pump. It works great but needs to be primed. I just pour a little water in the pick-up hose and quickly submerge it prior to running it.

retrofitted a Mark II external pump.
Thanks for that. I'm also planning to use an external pump. How did you attach it? Hose and clamp around the metal? Or barb into their rubbery barb adapter? Do you remember what sizes were required?

Cheers, Richard

I used a barb to barb adapter with 3’ of 1/2” silicone hose. The OD of the barb is 3/8” and fits perfectly into the blue rubber adapter.
upload_2020-2-8_14-4-21.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-8_14-2-19.jpeg
    upload_2020-2-8_14-2-19.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
when the first pump failed for me (PBW solution exceed 140F) I used an external pump but found I didn't have enough pressure to really maximize the efficiency of the CIP as their were other things inline. What I do now is place the washer in my MT which has a lot more clearance for hoses and power cables and use the original pump while also circulating through my HERMS coil for temp control back into the MT.

I have cleaned close to 40 kegs with mine and it is still going strong. To answer a question from above, I have had stuck on beer at the bottom and this cleaner makes the keg sparkle. I usually run hot PBW for 5 min, followed by a 2-3 minute rinse and 2 min sanitize. Once complete, I put the lid on and purge with CO2, leaving the keg ready for the next brew.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back