SS Brewtech Infusion Mashtun Filter recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jagohaus

Reaction score
I have the ten gallon SS Brewtech Infusion Mashtun and looking for fine mesh filter recommendations. What type off mesh and where to buy. After reading several reviews I am concerned about grains making it through the false bottom. I have read several threads that have used a filter screens. Hopefully, I am one of the lucky ones who will not have issues with this mash tun.

I have the same mash tun. I do not have much grain carryover, but it does happen a bit (less than like, 2T of grain between the mash out and sparge). I have a hop spider that I filter 1st and 2nd runnings through, as they enter the kettle. I use the same hop spider for filtering hops at the end of my boil.

I added the Brewers Hardware wort strainer to my system with the last brewing (also changed over to a set of Spike kettles with electric in the BK and HLT). I only used it before the plate chiller since it was my first batch whirlpooling. Captured just over 3oz (wet weight) of hops/matter that didn't get to the chiller. I'm sure you could run from your MT through it as well to capture.

This is the one I purchased: 1.5" Tri Clover Compatible Strainer with 3" OD Body from Brewers Hardware

My only complaint is how the mounting bracket uses a farking metric thread pattern of a size that I could NOT get in stainless from any local sources. IF he had used SAE threads, that wouldn't have been an issue.

I use a bag with mine. But - I already had the bag, so....

Also, one thing I love is how stuff drains out, the shape under the false bottom which came with it. So even if you have some grains escape through, a quick vorlauf will probably take care of it.

I don't think you have anything to worry about as-is.

I have the same mash tun. I do not have much grain carryover, but it does happen a bit (less than like, 2T of grain between the mash out and sparge). I have a hop spider that I filter 1st and 2nd runnings through, as they enter the kettle. I use the same hop spider for filtering hops at the end of my boil.
I have a hop filter that goes on the side of my brew kettle and I will drain through that. Thanks

What has been your experience using this mash tun? Holding temps, pre-heating, accuracy of digital thermometer, recirculating wort for vorlauf, and any other suggestions you would recommend?

I use a bag with mine. But - I already had the bag, so....

Also, one thing I love is how stuff drains out, the shape under the false bottom which came with it. So even if you have some grains escape through, a quick vorlauf will probably take care of it.

I don't think you have anything to worry about as-is.
You are probably right about not worrying. I tend to focus on more of the negatives.

I run it through my hop spider. It's the only real complaint I have about the SSBT MashTun. Not a lot get through after vorlaufing, but it's still more than my Gott cooler MT allowed.

I attached a stainless 80 mesh (250 micron) with stainless lock wire (0.030").
It turns this (or any) false bottom into a brew in a bag, so that's the biggest bits you'll ever get through.
Recirculation creates a much finer filter.
Here it is almost 40 batches later:
1.jpg

2.jpg

after shopping everywhere for the mesh, I ordered here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000682888683.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52714c4dq9qFLF
Lock wire can be had just about anywhere.
I don't remember where I ordered from.

I have a hop filter that goes on the side of my brew kettle and I will drain through that. Thanks

What has been your experience using this mash tun? Holding temps, pre-heating, accuracy of digital thermometer, recirculating wort for vorlauf, and any other suggestions you would recommend?

Holds temp decently. I also brew outside, so in the winter it does drop some. I do not use their supplied digital thermometer anymore, but it did work well, and seemed pretty accurate. I just like to use 1 thermometer for everything, from mash to boil and cooling and such. Just me. For recirc, I never had a stuck mash or stuck sparge in 40 or so brews with it. Only thing bad is that the little rubber feet suck, and fall off and roll away constantly. Other than that, its great. Easy to clean, easy to use.

Another bit of advice, there's about 3 pints of water/wort that fits between the false bottom and the outlet.
When those 3 pints run out, the bottom of the grain bed falls apart and you get a good spludge of grist/flour in your kettle.
Use an extra half gallon or so of sparge water to keep that in the mash tun.

...Only thing bad is that the little rubber feet suck, and fall off and roll away constantly....
Their updated version comes with feet that attach with screws.
They sell the feet separately and are backwards compatible with the original version tuns.
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/accessories/products/infussion-mash-tun-feet
I recently got a 20 gallon version after years of having the 10 gallon; I liked it that much.
That's why I have all this info readily available.

Yeah, the feet do fall off. Mine just stay off permanently. Don't really need them anyhow.

Other than that, pretty happy with it. I've had 2 coolers crack and leak over time, I'm hoping this 3rd "stainless cooler" will last longer than I do (and more specifically that we both last a really long time of course).

Their updated version comes with feet that attach with screws.
They sell the feet separately and are backwards compatible with the original version tuns.
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/accessories/products/infussion-mash-tun-feet
I recently got a 20 gallon version after years of having the 10 gallon; I liked it that much.
That's why I have all this info readily available.
Thank you for all of your advice especially where to get the stainless steel wire mesh. I spent a considerable amount of trying to find mesh in the size I need. The reason I bought this mash tun is ease of clean up, no head space, and no concern of plastic leaching into the wort

Holds temp decently. I also brew outside, so in the winter it does drop some. I do not use their supplied digital thermometer anymore, but it did work well, and seemed pretty accurate. I just like to use 1 thermometer for everything, from mash to boil and cooling and such. Just me. For recirc, I never had a stuck mash or stuck sparge in 40 or so brews with it. Only thing bad is that the little rubber feet suck, and fall off and roll away constantly. Other than that, its great. Easy to clean, easy to use.
I use a Smoke Thermometer by ThermoPro for each brewing step, but still like the other thermometers for reference. I agree with you about the rubber feet. I have them neatly stored in a plastic and will use a grip safe silicon pad to protect the mashtun from getting scratched. Thank you for your feedback

It turns this (or any) false bottom into a brew in a bag, so that's the biggest bits you'll ever get through.

This is indeed a great idea, thanks. I had a bag already, but if / when it rips or something this is a great way to go.

protect the mashtun from getting scratched

It's just a mashtun. Scratches are character. Actually shows you loved it.

Recirculation creates a much finer filter.
Here it is almost 40 batches later:
View attachment 727361
View attachment 727362

after shopping everywhere for the mesh, I ordered here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000682888683.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52714c4dq9qFLF
Lock wire can be had just about anywhere.
I don't remember where I ordered from.
I've been having trouble with my riptide pump with the grainbed collapsing toward the last quarter of lautering on the Infussion

There's roughly a gallon of wort I'm losing as a result and its been killing my efficiency. Getting bits of grain in the kettle isn't good either.

I was thinking of altering the setup to gravity feed the lauter as opposed to using a pump (which might be too powerful even when throttled)

I'm intrigued by your modification.

The fine mesh would concern me in that I could see it getting clogged. Assuming you haven't had any issues.

How fine/course is your grain crush?

I'm currently doing a no sparge setup, so unfortunately losing that extra half gallon at the end really stinks

Do you think this screen would solve my problem? Or will the dead space below the little hole cause a stuck lauter anyway when it runs dry (this collapsing the grainbed above)

Last edited:
I cant see the screen helping your stuck lauter situation.
Letting gravity drain the wort would.

I cracked my grain with a 0.040” gap in the 10 gallon.
Even recirculating with one of those tan solar pumps, never had a stuck mash.
Once I got the 20 gallon and a TD5 pump, I had to open up the gap to 0.050” to run wide open.
I still gravity drain to the kettle once I’m done with the mash.

The screen would just keep the larger bits out when the grain bed runs dry for you.
You might try adding 1 gallon of water to the mash just before it runs dry.

Back